• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Avengers 3 Slab - Update Grade is In!
3 3

33 posts in this topic

Update :
Cracked , pressed and resubmitted .

Came back a 9.4 albeit down to Off white to White Pages from White .

Pretty Happy about this .

Thanks to all for input on this book .

0?ui=2&ik=421f9bcc27&attid=0.1&permmsgid

Could someone explain to me why this a 6.5 and not higher ? 

There is a some very thin color breaking spine stress that I can barely see and I don't see any creases that can be pressed out , maybe there is a ridge  close to the spine 

on the back that could be pressed out but hard to tell . I did not have the book slabbed myself .

Is it possible there is some internal damage not on the cover or back of the book ? 
Thanks!

PXL_20220414_232858789.jpg

PXL_20220414_233027682.MP.jpg

Edited by Corallas

On 4/14/2022 at 7:47 PM, grendelbo said:

Do the grader's notes say anything?

Anyone out there able to provide them for the forum? :foryou:

Hmmmmm Didnt realize I could check without being the one to get the book slabbed .

Edited by Corallas

On 4/14/2022 at 6:33 PM, Corallas said:

Hmmmmm Didnt realize I could check without being the one to get the book slabbed .

You should be able to unless you're a freeloader like me.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:31 PM, Point Five said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

and just enter the slab # as prompted.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/3900899001/

"light readers crease back cover
very light spine stress lines cover breaks color"

Oh thats very cool thanks! 

So readers crease , geez wonder if that can be pressed , I see something that may be a valley or something but hard to tell even looking at it in person . 

Considering cracking this and resubmitting . 

On 4/14/2022 at 8:07 PM, Corallas said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/3900899001/

"light readers crease back cover
very light spine stress lines cover breaks color"

Oh thats very cool thanks! 

So readers crease , geez wonder if that can be pressed , I see something that may be a valley or something but hard to tell even looking at it in person . 

Considering cracking this and resubmitting . 

You might be able to get this to a 7.0/7.5 after a press. Maybe higher. It's hard to see what's going on with the spine through the slab.

Thanks for posting.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

That alone should not take a book down to 6.5!

Yes was wondering about this . 

They say light readers crease , guessing they would designate light  color breaking if it was a color breaking crease on the back which I cant see . 

Remember, grader's notes are not a comprehensive review of everything that might be "wrong" with a book.  It was noted in another thread that sometimes they come from the "first look" grader for things that might be hard for the person who finalizes it to see.

How many people handle a book before it gets to the person that finalizes it?  The more it gets handled, the more chances of mishaps. just saying.

grader notes should be more comprehensive, but you know the old saying "time is money"        5 of the books I had graded came back between 6.0 and 8.0 all had the same notes.

"light bends to cover" "light creasing to cover" which could have been fixed by a C&P(I did not have that done). and "light spine stress lines to cover" so if all had the same"light" defects why then did they have such a range of grades? I'm just dazed and confused:ohnoez:

Looks 7.0ish to me

You can see the vertical bend running the length of the book. In recent years CGC has hammer book length bends like that, especially when they break colour. Yours doesn’t appear to and so a press likely could improve the grade here.

Ultimate Fallout 4 has a common indentation running the length of the book from the poly bag that many copies were sold in. As a result CGC (and even CBCS) graded that book 8.5-9.2 with said crease. And it’s is extremely faint, but in the proper lighting you can definitely see it. Many copies of UF4 with this as the only flaw press out to a 9.6-9.8. So you can be upset that CGC is harsh on such a defect but I know other companies (well at least one) are too.

Edited by comicginger1789

On 4/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Remember, grader's notes are not a comprehensive review of everything that might be "wrong" with a book.  It was noted in another thread that sometimes they come from the "first look" grader for things that might be hard for the person who finalizes it to see.

And the holder can disguise many non-color breaking flaws which may also affect the grade...

On 4/14/2022 at 8:08 PM, grendelbo said:

Anyone have a paid membership?

:whistle:

I quoted you on the wrong thing earlier @grendelbo

On 4/15/2022 at 8:42 AM, Galen130 said:

Not anymore.  CGC can pound sand…

DE3DFD24-C5A9-46C4-85B7-15E8D0DF82B5.jpeg

:facepalm: