• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 1
28 28

482 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, CGC Mike said:

This was brought to my attention shortly after the round started.  I asked Matt about this, and here was his reply.

Turns out we felt the cover was not cleaned, and I was able to remove the reglossing. This is not unprecedented.

Further along in the discussion about this book, I was told that the small amount of crud was scraped off after the scans, and it had no effect on the grade.  I mentioned this earlier but, I figured I would bring it up again.  

Clearly, in the age of the internet, some think that provenance isn't as easy to find as it is. What if the prior grade wasn't called out? Why is it that people here have to do detective work on books like this ? So we're just suppose to say "oh, okay, you messed up the grade the first time, we'll believe you this time around!"

Are there any other books out there that CGC said were cleaned that weren't? How about books that CGC said weren't cleaned that were cleaned? Sounds like the short answer is yes to both.

Very alarming.