• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 1
28 28

482 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bird said:

there is a separate thread with results and rankings

you are in last place

doh!  thx 

But seriously I thought he would shed light, but as you said @Bird he probably therefore we probably couldnt get answers until Monday anyway.....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

• Administrator
On 4/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, grendelbo said:

I know some restoration can be removed, but is it possible with a cover re-gloss?

@zzutak

I'm wondering how this copy avoided a purple label again.

From Heritage (sold 2006) -

This was brought to my attention shortly after the round started.  I asked Matt about this, and here was his reply.

Turns out we felt the cover was not cleaned, and I was able to remove the reglossing. This is not unprecedented.

Further along in the discussion about this book, I was told that the small amount of crud was scraped off after the scans, and it had no effect on the grade.  I mentioned this earlier but, I figured I would bring it up again.  

On 4/30/2022 at 6:05 PM, CGC Mike said:

This was brought to my attention shortly after the round started.  I asked Matt about this, and here was his reply.

Turns out we felt the cover was not cleaned, and I was able to remove the reglossing. This is not unprecedented.

Further along in the discussion about this book, I was told that the small amount of crud was scraped off after the scans, and it had no effect on the grade.  I mentioned this earlier but, I figured I would bring it up again.  

Thanks.

Now we now de-glossing is a thing.

Anything that completely coats the surface of a cover may well be considered irreversible, unless it is dissolvable by certain 100% evaporating no-residue solvents like Naptha. However, that requires that the substance that created the fake gloss did no damage to the paper. And it can take some time (sometimes a few years) for the damage to appear. I understand restoration, firmly believe it is an important and necessary aspect of maintaining the longevity of the comics that really need it (a color touch is NOT what I am talking about!  but I consider reglossing a more drastic restoration step than a piece (or even several pieces) replacement. A more benign gloss is a methyl cellulose solution, but it really doesn't recreate that gloss we are used to in the 50's and later books. And while it does no real harm to the paper it would require a water wash to remove it, which brings the cover into a whole new realm of restoration.

• Administrator
On 4/30/2022 at 7:45 PM, Bird said:

he'll be along soon enough

what, you gonna go call teacher? :sumo:

I don't mind being reported to the teacher but, please leave the principal out of this.  

On 4/30/2022 at 6:06 PM, trmoore54 said:
On 4/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, sledgehammer said:

If you can have color lift, why couldn't you have gloss lift?

The difference in appearance at the top staple is pretty severe.

Color touch predominantly is a small area...even a dot...or at least can be.  I've seen the results in some cases after the removal results in paper/color loss...but back to blue label.  Regloss is 100% of the cover.  I have no idea of the removal process if it is even possible. 

My thought was that somehow being in a tight slab for fifteen years may have deposited some or all of whatever this gloss agent was on the slab itself when it came out of the slab.

Just a wild guess.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:13 PM, CGC Mike said:

I don't mind being reported to the teacher but, please leave the principal out of this.  

Origin of the word principal:
Originally the principal teacher of the school.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:13 PM, CGC Mike said:

major burn! generally speaking

Edited by Bird
I should have run with DeGlossi being in a high school, missed my chance as I do not believe in improving my humor through edits

Is this one of the books involved in the lawsuit, where they were glossed up, heavy to the touch and ultimately rejected and the business banned from submitting and then the lawsuit?

in any event, in the minimum we have documented the history of this particular book. it is good to know if your book was reglossed, deglossed and slabbed with generally no one the wiser in the end

can someone recap for me?  the detective book was a lawsuit book that got deglazed or something?

• Administrator
On 4/30/2022 at 9:50 PM, Kramerica said:
On 4/30/2022 at 8:13 PM, CGC Mike said:

How 'bout the Nurse?

Nurses are fine as long as they don't try to get my clothes off.  I am a little shy.