• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 1
28 28

482 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2022 at 6:56 PM, CGC Mike said:

Nurses are fine as long as they don't try to get my clothes off.  I am a little shy.  

Screenshot 2022-03-08 6.51.00 PM.png

On 4/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, CGC Mike said:

I was told that the small amount of crud was scraped off after the scans, and it had no effect on the grade.

See, I DID learn something from this thread--that a "small amount of crud" smack dab on the cover of your 7.0 comic will not affect its grade (according to this manifestation of CGC's ephemeral grading standards).

Thank God it wasn't a water stain.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:05 PM, CGC Mike said:

This was brought to my attention shortly after the round started.  I asked Matt about this, and here was his reply.

Turns out we felt the cover was not cleaned, and I was able to remove the reglossing. This is not unprecedented.

Further along in the discussion about this book, I was told that the small amount of crud was scraped off after the scans, and it had no effect on the grade.  I mentioned this earlier but, I figured I would bring it up again.  

Can you or have someone else explain to us the process of de-glossing a book?  And presumably that is front and back covers?  And when they typically re-gloss does that include the 2 inside covers as well?  And if so were all 4 faces de-glossed?  Or do they typically just do the front cover only?

On 5/1/2022 at 8:41 AM, trmoore54 said:

Can you or have someone else explain to us the process of de-glossing a book?  And presumably that is front and back covers?  And when they typically re-gloss does that include the 2 inside covers as well?  And if so were all 4 faces de-glossed?  Or do they typically just do the front cover only?

Answers would be interesting - especially since CCS states re-glossing can't be removed!   Appears page needs updating.

image.thumb.png.4585c8d299200577ebe652c80f11b149.png

On 4/29/2022 at 11:58 PM, toro said:

A good round for me.

It would have been better if I had actually remembered to submit the grades to Mike.  :tonofbricks:

And those aspiring to a spot in the top 10 feel a little better about their prospects.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:09 AM, Sauce Dog said:

whoo top 35 baby! The Hawkman and Secret Wars messed me up, I had em pegged for 5.0/5.5 - 2 points lower than they actually graded. So basically this contest will help you all figure out who to buy raw books from if you are looking for a great deal :D

Me too - neither one looked FN to me.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, trmoore54 said:

Good eye and Detective work.

HMMM unless all TEC 32's had the H in TLC :idea:

I was also wondering if the one we graded got a BLUE label if so how?