• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm out. Time to get out of comics...for me.
4 4

88 posts in this topic

There were brilliant, creative, contributions, institutions and much more from the writers, artists and genius editors from 1960's to 1980's and early 1990's I thrived for.

Today, there are too many boobs and stark naked bodies on the covers.  Where is the good taste in the comic books today?   I don't thrive for them anymore.  Yes, I am already downsizing my collection and will stay focused on few titles if I can.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:48 PM, JollyComics said:

Today, there are too many boobs and stark naked bodies on the covers.

On 4/19/2022 at 4:48 PM, JollyComics said:

There were brilliant, creative, contributions, institutions and much more from the writers, artists and genius editors from 1960's to 1980's and early 1990's I thrived for.

Today, there are too many boobs and stark naked bodies on the covers.  Where is the good taste in the comic books today?   I don't thrive for them anymore.  Yes, I am already downsizing my collection and will stay focused on few titles if I can.

Yes, I've been frustrated by that as well.  I always enjoyed pretty MJ and Gwen, but today things are getting crazy.  I'll take the 60's thru 80's any day!  Just me...

On 4/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, mlovest said:

Yes, I've been frustrated by that as well.  I always enjoyed pretty MJ and Gwen, but today things are getting crazy.  I'll take the 60's thru 80's any day!  Just me...

I used to see MCS censored all private parts and MCS decided not to conceal them anymore.  It's rather disturbed and I am aware of CGC will not grade some books that show the private parts due to overhang objects.  CGC is getting confused badly.  Mostly books are allowed to be graded but few and fewer books didn't get the grades.

It gets extreme and overboard today.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:31 AM, Point Five said:

But indie books like the above have been around for decades. Are there really Marvel covers showing lots more skin?

Of course not. Comics like the ones I posted above have always been around. People just love their backinmydayisms.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, F For Fake said:

I like sexy covers, I like sexy gals, I like sexy sex. Sexy sexy sex. Golden age GGA; funky 70's undergrounds; cool 80's alt stuff; copper/modern pin-up kings like Stevens, Hughes, Timm; the Eros label; HEADLIGHTS! BONDAGE! I like all of that stuff. A lot, actually. I'm morally flexible.

Sexy stuffs in context are just fine by me, when being sold to the appropriate audience.

What I still don't understand is the appeal of the really poorly drawn modern nude cover, where the artists have apparently never seen an actual naked woman in person, and only know boobs from tracing prono mags, and therefore all of their drawings of imaginary ladies also have fake boobs. It makes no sense. If these basement dwellers have the power to conjure up their ultimate nekkid dream babe, why would they still give them FAKE TATTIES?!?! Live a little! Meet some real flesh and blood humans, THEN make sexy sexy drawerins'!

I'm usually a, "collect what you like" kinda guy but those covers are so cheesy and embarrassing.  

On 4/21/2022 at 11:29 AM, Beastfeast said:

I'm usually a, "collect what you like" kinda guy but those covers are so cheesy and embarrassing.  

For sure. I've got no problem with "sexy" books. But that stuff is not sexy, in the slightest. 

On 4/18/2022 at 11:55 AM, mlovest said:

Thank you all for your comments.  Obviously, we all approach collecting in our own way.  This is what's right for me.  I will keep some items that are really meaningful to me, and I will always have a warm spot for Spidey.  It's just hard to see so much money in my closet that can benefit my family and other priorities.  Also, I have a real concern about leaving thousands of comics for my family to deal with should something happen to me.  If money was no issue, I would keep going, but I think this will be best.  I may change my mind and decide to get back in, and then I'll assess what' affordable and fun for me going forward.  My kids still want to hit an occasional comic show, and I'm good with that!

Again, thank you for your comments, and best of luck with your collections!  Definitely buy what you love, and enjoy your collection.

V/R, Mike

Man looks like you were one of the first members on here. been here longer than me. Hope you still stay in the CGC community and boards and at least maintain some connection to the hobby.

I and the long timers on here am sure understand the frustration .