• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm out. Time to get out of comics...for me.
4 4

88 posts in this topic

I'm getting to the same point but not for the same reasons. For me, I just realize that I'm getting caught in a trap of constantly adding to my collection and while there is no feeling like looking at Bronze and Silver Age books, I realize collected editions and books about the history of the industry scratch my itch enough and I should sell everything now and apply that few grand or whatever I'd get to other things. It doesn't mean ever losing the appreciation and passion for the hobby and it's something you can always resume, though we all know what prices are at now likely won't be the same half a decade from now. So, I've been leaning towards selling my collection and I turned 43 last month and thought, well if I get the itch again, I can always start collecting again in a few years and presumably if I'm not fired, I'll be making more money when I'm 50! :D 

LOL.  I know the feeling.  Although I've picked up maybe 4-5 "exception" books over the last 5 years, I basically got out in 2017-18.  Selling off my sports card collection at the moment.  In a few years, I'll probably start selling off the books as I get closer to (hopefully) early retirement. 

I didn't quit but I did change drastically.  In 2019 I had almost nothing but 9.8 slabs.  As prices went wild, I became a bit uncomfortable with how much money I had in comics, and I gradually unloaded my collection, mostly in 2021, and switched to 9.4-9.8ish raws.  I now have a pretty serviceable raw collection which was entirely funded by the profit from my 9.8 slab arbitrage.  I feel pretty good about this because I have all of my nostalgia books and if the market continues to increase, great.  But even if the worst happens and they all go to zero, then I didn't lose anything and still have my nostalgia, which is the whole reason I got back into comics anyway.

Edited by Poekaymon

On 4/22/2022 at 9:26 AM, Poekaymon said:

I didn't quit but I did change drastically.  In 2019 I had almost nothing but 9.8 slabs.  As prices went wild, I became a bit uncomfortable with how much money I had in comics, and I gradually unloaded my collection, mostly in 2021, and switched to 9.4-9.8ish raws.  I now have a pretty serviceable raw collection which was entirely funded by the profit from my 9.8 slab arbitrage.  I feel pretty good about this because I have all of my nostalgia books and if the market continues to increase, great.  But even if the worst happens and they all go to zero, then I didn't lose anything and still have my nostalgia, which is the whole reason I got back into comics anyway.

Sounds like a good strategy!  I have found through the years that I have been very good at picking high grade raw copies, that and I use reputable graders like Bob S.  That's allowed me to cover my expenses and even make a little on some incredible books.  Good luck with your new strategy!

On 4/21/2022 at 5:50 PM, Brian48 said:

LOL.  I know the feeling.  Although I've picked up maybe 4-5 "exception" books over the last 5 years, I basically got out in 2017-18.  Selling off my sports card collection at the moment.  In a few years, I'll probably start selling off the books as I get closer to (hopefully) early retirement. 

I assume you're a vet or active duty...thank you for your service.  28 years in USAF for me...

On 4/19/2022 at 3:58 PM, mlovest said:

I may come back. but not as fast as Krammer did in that episode!

Kramer's" Racist Tirade -- Caught on Tape

On 4/23/2022 at 9:33 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

If I didn’t have comic books in my life, I really don’t know how I’d make it through my work day.  Hours upon hours spent doing the same thing over and over again on the computer.  It’s not such a bad job, but looking forward to books arriving in the mail, going to shows and working deals is what gets me through a lot of days.  Well, comic books and my cat.

Are you guys hiring??

On 4/23/2022 at 6:33 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

If I didn’t have comic books in my life, I really don’t know how I’d make it through my work day.  Hours upon hours spent doing the same thing over and over again on the computer.  It’s not such a bad job, but looking forward to books arriving in the mail, going to shows and working deals is what gets me through a lot of days.  Well, comic books and my cat.

You really need to get outside more Doc…

On 4/23/2022 at 9:33 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Have basically everything I want, but I do like to scan the new stuff week to week, though I rarely buy anything.  Also the new omnibuses.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I concur.  A distraction that was always there to help me through difficult times.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:15 PM, wisbyron said:

I'm getting to the same point but not for the same reasons. For me, I just realize that I'm getting caught in a trap of constantly adding to my collection and while there is no feeling like looking at Bronze and Silver Age books, I realize collected editions and books about the history of the industry scratch my itch enough and I should sell everything now and apply that few grand or whatever I'd get to other things. It doesn't mean ever losing the appreciation and passion for the hobby and it's something you can always resume, though we all know what prices are at now likely won't be the same half a decade from now. So, I've been leaning towards selling my collection and I turned 43 last month and thought, well if I get the itch again, I can always start collecting again in a few years and presumably if I'm not fired, I'll be making more money when I'm 50! :D 

I’m 43 also and just got back into it last year after a long time away. 
The itch never leaves you and even if I took another hiatus, I’d only be drawn back in again at some point. 
I’m going to always stay in now but some years will definitely be more expensive than others ! 

On 4/22/2022 at 5:26 PM, Poekaymon said:

I think what you did was a very wise thing. 
For me personally, I only buy raw and at a slightly lower grade as I love owning what I consider timeless and artistic artefact’s I can  both afford and read. 
If youve made a profit yet still own then win win in my book. 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:16 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I concur.  A distraction that was always there to help me through difficult times.

Fully agree. Unfortunately I’m going through a messy divorce at the moment after what I thought was a good marriage. 
Today the postman dropped off a couple of silver age Spideys and the world was a great place again ! 

I sold everything 4 years ago and paid off my home. I'm glad I did it as its clearly become a stupid expensive hobby. I still follow the hobby a tiny bit but there's no way I'd thrown any money at anything with the current prices.