• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dragon Ball Super TCG - Height of Mastery Son Goku - How is this centering subgrade a 9 and not higher? My Cert # vs a Cert # with a pristine 10
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is my first post and my first grading experience with cgccards, but not grading in general.

Scores for my cards that I handed in were released today, which I'm grateful for the turnaround time...

I was curious as to why my card got a 9 for centering and not a higher grade, perhaps why not a 9.5 or even a 10.

Here is what I mean:

My card, cert #4040585002 vs cert #3996731084 (someone listed on ebay who has a pristine 10)

The centering looks identical when compared to each other. I'm not seeing how my card got a 9 for centering and the other card got a 10...

Is the grading for centering subjective, where they just take a quick glance, and judge right away? or do they use a real card as an example, perhaps even A.I.? perhaps overlay it on a exact duplicate of the card that's perfect on a screen?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Again from my point-of-view/viewpoint, My card, with a center of 9, cert #4040585002 versus another card with a center of 10, cert #3996731084. I don't see the difference, that my card should warrant no less than a 10 for centering. They look practically identical.

Can anyone with a sharp eye verify if my card, cert #4040585002, is off-centered to the right, left, top or bottom for both the obverse and reverse? What reference point are you using that you can tell it's off-centered by a little, that 1 whole point should be removed from a perfect 10?

@GreatZong I was not able to catch that earlier, thank you for verifying and replying! Do you think that taking out 1 whole point is justifiable? I thought maybe a half-a-point would be more fair. just my opinion

I know to some people that little shift to the right, might seem like a mile.

Come to think of it, I think, since both the back and front are affected by that shift, it is justifiable.

Edited by Houler

On 4/21/2022 at 4:30 AM, Houler said:

@GreatZong I was not able to catch that earlier, thank you for verifying and replying! Do you think that taking out 1 whole point is justifiable? I thought maybe a half-a-point would be more fair. just my opinion

I know to some people that little shift to the right, might seem like a mile.

Come to think of it, I think, since both the back and front are affected by that shift, it is justifiable.

It's just my opinion but I would imagine centering being a total of 10 points, therefore each side of the card is 2.5 points. Then they deduct by 0.5 point increments depending on how much it is off centered on each side. Again, its my thought in the grading process so who knows lol 

On 4/23/2022 at 3:59 AM, GreatZong said:

It's just my opinion but I would imagine centering being a total of 10 points, therefore each side of the card is 2.5 points. Then they deduct by 0.5 point increments depending on how much it is off centered on each side. Again, its my thought in the grading process so who knows lol 

You sounds suspiciously like a former or current professional grader hmmm..., sounds way to precise! LOL I know nothing of professional grading processes, but that was a good-sounding educated guess haha

I'm not sure if I'll auction it off/list it on ebay or I'll probably keep it and hold on to it for a few more years as it accrues in value. It is a nice looking card and the centering isn't too bad imo. Yeah, I think I'll hold onto it.