• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
7 7

1,212 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2024 at 11:06 AM, The Lions Den said:

Well, alphabetically it's in the proper order...  (shrug) 

yeah, week after week it’s been Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella so I just kinda went with the flow…(shrug)

On 6/2/2024 at 8:40 AM, Jayman said:

yeah, week after week it’s been Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella so I just kinda went with the flow…(shrug)

No worries, I didn't notice it until I went to post my entry this week.  I probably would have done the same thing, honestly.

Let's flip the next two as well, so we don't have two issues of EERIE in a row.  We can go Vampirella #16 next week, Eerie #39 on 6/16, and then back to the schedule on page one of the thread.

Eerie #38 thoughts:

Cover:  File this one as "nice cover that doesn't do much for me personally"

Monster Gallery:  This may be a little more Lore than Gallery, but it at least clearly focuses on a monster, and before the monster became more widely known.  Add some nice art by Brocal and this one's a winner.

Stake in the Game:  I can't find much about Gual online, they did around 15 stories for Warren, it appears.  I'm not terribly impressed with the story, it's decent filler... but you can't really have a 21 page long filler story.  I also feel like Gual was drawing heads disproportionately large relative to the bodies, and as @Jayman suggests, the twist is somewhat stapled on at the end just to have a twist. This is actually the second time I recall that they've split a story within an issue, Carmilla back in Creepy #19 was split as well.

The Carrier of the Serpent:  A solid story by Brennan and excellent art (that I don't personally care for) by Grandenetti.  It's interesting... my respect for Grandenetti has grown immensely over the course of the Reading Club, and I'm definitely enjoying his stuff more in the sense that I can intellectually admire his craft.  But I still really don't like it in the conventional sense.

A Stranger In Hell: Almost more a mood piece than an actual story by Brennan, with extraordinary art by Maroto.  Excellent stuff that I don't have much to actually say about.  It seems to me like Starlin was heavily influenced by this story when he created Gamora's original look a few years later.

The Night the Snow Spilled Blood: I'm seriously tempted to just quote @Jayman as my comments on this story.  Spot on with everything.

I can't call this a very good issue, but it's got a few solid stories.  I think it probably hurt itself by splitting the first, weakest story in two, so it begins and ends on the same weak note. 

On 6/6/2024 at 4:51 PM, OtherEric said:

It seems to me like Starlin was heavily influenced by this story when he created Gamora's original look a few years later.

I can totally see that! (thumbsu

I have some very sad news to report:  I can now verify that @Axe Elf has passed.

I was rereading the thread when I came across this post

Which provides both a birth date, and his real name on a story he had published when he was 12.  With that information, I found this obituary, which matches all relevant details.

https://www.aldenharrington.com/memorials/robert-yost/5412656/index.php

Rest in peace, my friend, and thank you again for everything you contributed in your time here.

On 6/6/2024 at 10:45 PM, OtherEric said:

I have some very sad news to report:  I can now verify that @Axe Elf has passed.

I was rereading the thread when I came across this post

Which provides both a birth date, and his real name on a story he had published when he was 12.  With that information, I found this obituary, which matches all relevant details.

https://www.aldenharrington.com/memorials/robert-yost/5412656/index.php

Rest in peace, my friend, and thank you again for everything you contributed in your time here.

:frown:

On 6/6/2024 at 5:45 PM, OtherEric said:

Terrible news, but at least we have closure. That’s definitely him.

Thank you Robert for all your contributions here and for starting the Warren Reading Club which a lot of us continue to enjoy.

RIP fellow collector! :foryou:

Does anybody feel up to creating a general memorial thread for @Axe Elf, for those who don't follow the reading club?  I've been trying to figure out what to say if I start one ever since I found the news, and I'm failing miserably.  If anybody can manage it, thank you.  If not, I understand completely, because I'm having the same problem.

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 10:59 PM, OtherEric said:

Does anybody feel up to creating a general memorial thread for @Axe Elf, for those who don't follow the reading club?  I've been trying to figure out what to say if I start one ever since I found the news, and I'm failing miserably.  If anybody can manage it, thank you.  If not, I understand completely, because I'm having the same problem.

As much as I miss him, we never shared any DM’s and talked personally. All I know of him is mostly from the Mag section of the boards. Other than you and Oakman, I’m not sure who he interacted with. Not too sure I could do any justice speaking about him other than he had a good sense of humor and loved his Warren mags (except Famous Monsters).

Edited by Jayman

On 6/6/2024 at 7:59 PM, OtherEric said:

No pressure at all but What about sharing some of what you posted above? It resonated with me.   Maybe adding the link to his obituary.  
He was so full of wit and good-humor 

As an example, Here is what I believe was his last post - a response:

On 4/14/2024 at 5:11 PM,  MAR1979said:

In relation to Comic Books, What is "civil age"

Axe: If I speak the same dialect of autocorrect, I believe the accurate translation  is "silver age."

Whoever invented autocorrect should burn in hello.

Edited April 14 by Axe Elf

You brightened the halls of this forum, Axe. You are surely missed 

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 12:45 AM, This is Who We Are said:

No pressure at all but What about sharing some of what you posted above? It resonated with me.   Maybe adding the link to his obituary.  
He was so full of wit and good-humor 

As an example, Here is what I believe was his last post - a response:

On 4/14/2024 at 5:11 PM,  MAR1979said:

In relation to Comic Books, What is "civil age"

Axe: If I speak the same dialect of autocorrect, I believe the accurate translation  is "silver age."

Whoever invented autocorrect should burn in hello.

Edited April 14 by Axe Elf

You brightened the halls of this forum, Axe. You are surely missed 

Very sad , and yes I agree with him about auto correct.

May he rest in peace

Edited by MAR1979

As in the other threads, very sad news.

I do have a full digital run of Creepy and Eerie, which I bought recently. Perhaps I should pull them out and give them a good read.