• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi all, dipping my toes back into the comics scene after being mostly absent for years, thoughts on best places to sell some of my collection
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have been mostly out of comics since 2010 or so when I moved to New Zealand. Back in the states since July of 2021 and getting the itch to get back into comics.  Mostly going to sell off a fair bit of my collection but I’m sure I’ll be buying a few items too. The current market is quite a shock to someone who has been mostly out of it!

I want to say hello to all and ask your thoughts on the best place to sell. To me the selling forums here on the boards look good, the rules seem balanced and reasonable. While I used ebay extensively in 2010 and earlier it looks like their fees have gone up, same with Amazon (it also looks like they are seriously limiting the ability to sell in collectible categories there), Abebooks looks sort of good (they seem to like collectibles but their view sort and browse ability seems less than ideal, etc.

FYI, I think it is fair to say I’m a reasonable grader through long experience (was on the Sotheby’s comic auction grading committee most years they were held. I miss Jerry Weist who left us too soon! Looking at some of the high res Heritage CGC scans of higher grade books, it looks like slabbed standards may have gotten more lenient over the years (thoughts on that?). FYI, most of my stuff is raw.

I’m leaning towards selling stuff here (in the appropriate forums) vs. other places.  I would appreciate any comments.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:43 PM, Bird said:

do it here man!

you can go other places, but starting an instagram or facebook from scratch is not feasible more likely than not. I don't think you get max $ here but no fees and mostly no hassles (if you handle your bidness) makes it attractive. Plus you feed the wonderful and amazing beast that is the boards. Then spend your dough here too!

Thanks Bird, This is what I am leaning to. Will probably do some in a few days and see how it goes!

On 4/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, wombat said:

Try selling a few books on the boards. See how it works out. Not really any risk and minimal effort required to get started. 

I hear people here like lots of packing tape, like gobs of it

:whistle:

On 4/21/2022 at 7:29 PM, QuasarComics said:

I want to say hello to all

oops sorry, forgot my manners

Hello. Welcome back.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:29 PM, QuasarComics said:

but I’m sure I’ll be buying a few items too

What's gnawing at you? What are you hoping for?

Good to see OGs still having love for the game.

Try here first. See how it goes, maybe build up some credibility.

If it’s slow going, maybe try Instagram or Facebook. Although on those platforms I find common keys are always expected to be heavily discounted. And filler books are hard to sell. Rarities and golden age do well on those platforms but also do well here too.

Ebay I personally would use last. Most exposure but I don’t like the hassle and fees. Again all of this just my 2 cents! Welcome and good luck with the sales!

Welcome back!! (thumbsu

I agree with my fellow collectors here…give this place a shot.  I dabbled with eBay and MCS for awhile, but decided to just stick to the boards.  Less shenanigans and fewer knuckleheads.  Plus, we like using a lot of tape when we ship comics. :shy: @Bird

Don’t forget the PGM forum, in case you want second opinions on grades. hm

On 4/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, Bird said:

now go get them!

Maybe. I sort of enjoy selling them myself so not likely to get rid of them all at once.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:20 PM, Bird said:

I hear people here like lots of packing tape, like gobs of it

:whistle:

Packing tape, boxes, card board are my specialties, I have mailed thousands of packages in the past and no reports of damage.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:50 PM, Galen130 said:

Welcome back!! (thumbsu

I agree with my fellow collectors here…give this place a shot.  I dabbled with eBay and MCS for awhile, but decided to just stick to the boards.  Less shenanigans and fewer knuckleheads.  Plus, we like using a lot of tape when we ship comics. :shy: @Bird

Don’t forget the PGM forum, in case you want second opinions on grades. hm

Thank you! Glad to be back. Will definitely use PGM forum on some. It will be great to deal with straightforward folks, apparently ebay has gotten worse since I last used them, never used MCS for selling but they appear to do great in their auctions (don't know about the shenanigans there).