• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad to store a slab in an unsealed bubble mailer?

22 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, Die Coinee, Die! said:

As I understand it PETG will not discolor due to UV exposure but offers very little if any protection from UV's. The UV's simply pass right through it which ain't good for comics.

The 914M2 Mylar will help quite a bit but still I personally do not expose my books to Natural light nor Florescent.   Modern White LED Bulbs are probably safest.

For the majority of LED light bulbs, in industrial applications and otherwise, they do not give off UV radiation. In earlier incarnations of LED lighting the reason they did not emit UV radiation was their inability to give off white light. However, since the advent of white light LEDs, this has changed. White light LED bulbs are created by coating brilliant blue LEDs in phosphor. This allows the blue to be absorbed and only allow the white to come through.

I'm not an expert but I think you should be fine if you store your slabs in a cool and dry area that is away from direct sunlight.  If you are worried about scratches or scuffs on the plastic I would put them in an unsealed plastic bag with peices of thin foam between each CGC graded book. You should also take extra care whenever you are moving or handling the books.  As someone mentioned above if CGC offered a special UV protective option that would be awesome. Anyway, I hope this helps. 

-RKSM