• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you grade EERIE #1 ashcans?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I notice that CGC has recently been grading pamphlet size comics and mini-comics and I'm wondering if you would also grade the EERIE #1 aschan by Warren.

Here's some details on the book (all info per Heritage Auction site):

Magazines:Horror, Eerie #1 First Edition (Warren, 1965) Condition: NM....

Eerie #1 First Edition (Warren, 1965) Condition: NM. The low distribution of the first printing has made this issue difficult to find, especially in the grade of this pristine copy. This copy has the distinct lines on the roof of the house on page 1, and the bald headed man on page 18 panel 5 disappears into solid black (both of which are mentioned in Overstreet as indicators of a true first printing). We've offered a copy this nice on just two previous occasions since 2001, and both went for well over Overstreet guide value. Jack Davis cover. George Evans and Joe Orlando art. Overstreet 2013 NM- 9.2 value = $1,100.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. I don't know about this specific book but I do see in our Census that we have graded some Eerie books in the past.  We should be able to as long as it fits within the dimensions of our holder.  The maximum size we can accommodate would be: 

• 11-1/2” tall
  • 8-7/8” wide
  • 1/2” thick

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 4/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. I don't know about this specific book but I do see in our Census that we have graded some Eerie books in the past.  We should be able to as long as it fits within the dimensions of our holder.  The maximum size we can accommodate would be: 

• 11-1/2” tall
  • 8-7/8” wide
  • 1/2” thick

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Hi, Jennifer;

The EERIE #1 is an ascan with dimensions smaller than a modern comic book.  It has been authenticated and slabbed multiple times by one of your competitors.  Can you please as someone in grading if CGC can authenticate/grade this comic?  Examples from competitor below...

Magazines:Horror, Eerie #1 First Printing (Warren, 1965) CBCS NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Magazines:Horror, Eerie #1 First Printing (Warren, 1965) CBCS NM 9.4 White pages....

Looking forward to your response...

On 4/28/2022 at 12:13 AM, Topnotchman said:

Historically cgc did not grade this because it’s black and white contents were difficult to authenticate from a counterfeit. 

Yup, that’s correct.  However, CGC has been slabbing other B&W’s recently so I thought I’d reach out for an updated response @Jennier F.