• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Werewolf by Night #32
3 3

16 posts in this topic

I’d like the board’s opinions on this book. Might be my best book remaining (by value). After close examination I started thinking, “oh no” color touch to spine (note, especially, the black mark at spine on the back cover near the center and aligned with the “First Class” from the postage permit advertisement. There are other smaller similar marks down lower and I found these on some of the H.A. copies too, the 3rd one noted below as an example being most similar. Close examination with a jewellers loupe had me thinking. No this must be how it was printed. Looking inside the spine there is no bleed through so I examined several copies on Heritage. It looks like about 50% of the ones I looked at have this or similar marks so it must be something with the print run. The others that confirm this include (and I’m not implying I have that type of grade opinion on this one):

The 9.6 lot 95126 that sold on Nov 19 2021

The 9.6 lot 94213 that sold on Sep 9 2021

The 9.6 lot 93113 that sold on Apr 8 2022

Anyway, would be great to hear your opinion on it as is. Definitely, IMO, a good candidate for a light pressing too. Any spines color cracks are 1/16” or less.

3142_WerewolfbyNight32.jpg

3142_WerewolfbyNight32BC.jpg

3142_WerewolfbyNight32Photo1.JPG

3142_WerewolfbyNight32Photo2.JPG

3142_WerewolfbyNight32Photo3.JPG

3142_WerewolfbyNight32Photo4.JPG

3142_WerewolfbyNight32Photo5.JPG

3142_WerewolfbyNight32Photo6.JPG

3142_WerewolfbyNight32Photo7.JPG

Edited by QuasarComics

On 4/22/2022 at 5:36 PM, QuasarComics said:

I'll need to be more careful of typos, especially in the title to a post!

You can edit the title if you select "Edit" from the three little dots in the upper right of your post.

It’s a 9.0 or better .. as far as the color touch.. it’s in a spot where you would expect to see some but can’t tell definitively from these photos. You will be sending it in and you will know one way or another.. hopefully it’s not 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:09 PM, Axe Elf said:

You can edit the title if you select "Edit" from the three little dots in the upper right of your post.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:24 PM, grendelbo said:

Oh, and that mark is part of the front cover artwork. My copy has a slight miswrap and you can see it on the front cover.

Thanks, that makes it obvious along with the slabbed copies on Heritage with the same mark and other smaller marks down lower on the spine.

Thanks everyone. Good to see we are in agreement about the grade range. Given that, any thoughts on current CGC grading? The recent Heritage 9 and 9.2 copies of the same book have notable color cracking spine stress and some even have some notable (all for the grade assigned) corner blunting. I realize this, especially as a general discussion, I will open or find the topic elsewhere. With the examples I mentioned from Heritage of this book though, I am perplexed at what is going on since it does not seem to be a  "one off" type of event.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:40 AM, QuasarComics said:

Thanks everyone. Good to see we are in agreement about the grade range. Given that, any thoughts on current CGC grading? The recent Heritage 9 and 9.2 copies of the same book have notable color cracking spine stress and some even have some notable (all for the grade assigned) corner blunting. I realize this, especially as a general discussion, I will open or find the topic elsewhere. With the examples I mentioned from Heritage of this book though, I am perplexed at what is going on since it does not seem to be a  "one off" type of event.

Look at just about every WWBN 32 on Heritage, including past sales. So many have grades that seem a tad high. 

@Funnybooks

@Galen130

6dkwt2.jpg.301c31dc383d465e61cbd4a6606da097.jpg

On 4/23/2022 at 12:26 PM, Funnybooks said:

Appears 9.0 as is

9.2 after C&P

i don’t believe this book can hit 9.4

Although the WWBN effect is powerful :foryou:

do you have a black light to check for ct?

Great idea about the black light, I do have a black light bulb I can find so will try that later. I don't think it is ct but will et all know my black light results.