• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimming or Not. Received Answer from CGC.
4 4

26 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 4:44 PM, Funnybooks said:

appears incredibly sharp...do you have the ability to magnify the edges for fibers?

I would guess that there was trimming

I don't have ability to magnify the edges.  The cover edges appear to sharp with no noticeable edge wear also the cover does not line up with the pages which made me question whether th here was trimming.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:17 PM, Qalyar said:

Most of the books posted here with questions about possible trimming are miswraps and miscuts that I wouldn't be overly worried about.

I'd be worried about this one, I think.

Yeah, I usually think that if someone is asking about trimming then there's a 99.9% chance it's not trimmed.  But in this case it sure doesn't seem right.  The wear isn't consistent with the rest of the book and the edge is particularly clean.  

On 4/24/2022 at 8:36 PM, buttock said:

Yeah, I usually think that if someone is asking about trimming then there's a 99.9% chance it's not trimmed.  But in this case it sure doesn't seem right.  The wear isn't consistent with the rest of the book and the edge is particularly clean.  

In particular, I think the LR cover corner (razor sharp!) seems incompatible with the rounded LR pages beneath it.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:44 PM, Qalyar said:

In particular, I think the LR cover corner (razor sharp!) seems incompatible with the rounded LR pages beneath it.

Yeah, @mstrange are the staples tight?  i.e. there's no room for the edge of the cover to slide in? 

On 4/24/2022 at 9:36 PM, buttock said:

agreed. It also appears that as you move your eye towards the spine corners, the edges start to become more consistent with a book this age...i.e, the area where it would be the toughest to trim

I guess it could be the result of how the book was stored, but the back cover demonstrates a much different wear than the front cover.

Screenshot_20220424-202001_eBay.thumb.jpg.aabdc0ad274773cbef57011e913d89cb.jpg

(This is the same book, right?)

On 4/24/2022 at 6:50 PM, buttock said:

Yeah, @mstrange are the staples tight?  i.e. there's no room for the edge of the cover to slide in? 

I will some pics of the interior of the cover.

There is a outline on the first interior page where the outline e of the cover shows pics to follow.  I also got some more info from seller.  Book has been in storage for last 40 yrs and he knows of no restoration. 

Edited by mstrange

On 4/24/2022 at 7:23 PM, grendelbo said:

I guess it could be the result of how the book was stored, but the back cover demonstrates a much different wear than the front cover.

Screenshot_20220424-202001_eBay.thumb.jpg.aabdc0ad274773cbef57011e913d89cb.jpg

(This is the same book, right?)

Yes,  seller stated books were in storage for the last 40+ years stacked on top of each other raw no bags.

Edited by mstrange

Very tough to tell without the book in hand, and even then...

The right hand margin isn't straight (hold a piece of paper up to your monitor to verify), but the cover follows that same, very gradual curve or crook (lumber term). A book can certainly move slightly while it's being cut at the printer. In those two preceding pics, it looks like there is more of the back cover showing at the bottom than the top, so you should see less of the front cover at the bottom, all other things being equal. In fact, there appears to be a bit more front cover on top. This could however be explained that the cover is pulled away from the staples and the rest of the book more so at the top than the bottom. From the pictures, this may be the case.

The corners do look very sharp, but perhaps the front cover was better protected because less of it was exposed beyond the page edges.

Of course it's a frustrating exercise when you can play devil's advocate like this - raising issues, and subsequently explaining them away. I would proceed cautiously and share your concerns with the seller.  2c

A tough one to do a comparable on.  

I'd actually consider sending this to CGC and have them check it over for any resto, trimming or other shenanigans. It's a pretty amazing find.

And it's wise to keep in mind that some pretty strange stuff went on with comics printed during the "war years"...