• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiger Electronics Insert in Comic Books included in the grading by CGC

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  Unfortunately, CGC cannot advise you on the value of a book.  CGC is a grading company only.  We do not appraise or assign value to the books submitted to us for grading.  You could check online to see what similar books are selling for to get an idea or you could take the book to a comic dealer and have it appraised.  You can find a listing of authorized CGC dealers on our website here: Dealer Listing | CGC (cgccomics.com)

Thank you!

On 4/30/2022 at 4:33 AM, Bobby A Cabral said:

Mark Jewelers inserts are bought at a premium in some comic books.  Do Tiger Electronics inserts carry additional premium for graded comic books too?

My guess would be no, Bobby. 

For Marvel, Mark Jewelers only appeared in limited numbers of newsstand copies. They have been well researched, are well loved, and are collected by a small but avid group who will often be prepared to pay a premium for the copy they need. They are a known 'thing', in comics - a separate, collectable entity.

If you mean these (Amazing Spider-Man #343 example shown)...

412179795_342TigerElectronics.thumb.jpg.149b98cd8fa78a65bb6616ce2ea792df.jpg

...the Tiger Electronics inserts appeared, to the best of my knowledge, in all Direct Editions of the limited Marvel comics that featured them. That makes them less rare, unusual etc. They are not really 'a thing' and, consequently, are unlikely to ever catch on to the degree that people will routinely seek them out and / or pay a premium for them.

In my experience, the only inserts that seem to get collectors animated are the Mark Jewelers, National Diamond Sales and Pizzazz - hence their absence from this summary that I put together as a Spidey collector some years ago:

ins1.thumb.PNG.d65a0cdec38afbb6437a5f45874e2f6f.PNG

ins2.thumb.PNG.cbd797bc2ac70618f791da264dc80176.PNG

I only have one Mark Jeweler's insert that I know of. From my point of view, these are particularly interesting because they were given to members of the military. That means it would have been very difficult to keep them in good condition, given where they were, space limitations, and various other exigent circumstances that would encourage destruction over preservation. It is not about the ad, it's about the particularly brutal circumstances those comics had to survive. The Tiger electronics ad is totally different. Newsstands are similar to the Mark Jeweler's inserts (never mind that all MJ comics are newsstands) in that they were usually not treated as well as directs. This is why, even though directs had much lower print runs than newsstands when they were introduced, they often survive in greater numbers than the newsstands.

Edited by paqart