• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 50 - CT?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Not sure what to think on this one.  First pic is of f/c through a loupe.  Small splotch of color for no apparent reason. Second pic is bleed through from same spot - about 8 pages.  Third pic is bottom inside of f/c - red smudge, nothing corresponding on front cover.  Last pic is back cover - red ink blot.

What do you think?  Some kid using the comic as a placemat for finger painting?  Some type of factory spillage?  Murder scene artifact?

Love to hear your thoughts!

B3A1B9E2-5275-4555-B1F2-299E806A005D.jpeg

C06852D1-CF05-472C-8EA6-974CB42425C0.jpeg

FA587C88-E3D7-4560-8A02-CB4D8D85B422.jpeg

FCE364C5-D529-4713-8F56-AD5B4A461084.jpeg

Believe it or not I'd like to see more pics. Full book. Edges and pages.

My first impression is some kind of overspray.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:45 AM, Qalyar said:

Agreed, that's not color touch. The question is whether CGC will view it as overspray or merely a stain. For my part, it doesn't really look like a traditional overspray pattern...

No. It doesn't appear to resemble any distinct overspray patters typically encountered, but......... the spray must start to run out at some point; a weakened stream, or paint sputtering out of the nozzle in the process of running dry, so that might be what we're seeing here. No way to know the exact cause for sure.

As has been stated, the application appears to be completely at random, thus no improvement, either deliberate or accidental to any defects as would be typical with the application of what CGC would consider color-touch. 

On 5/7/2022 at 7:25 PM, The Lions Den said:

Could be distro ink...or it could be something put there in an attempt to disguise a completely different problem.   

Like what? Married cover?

On 5/8/2022 at 12:53 AM, James J Johnson said:

suspect.jpg

When comics are involved, I think we can all agree that it's wise to educate yourself about the different deceptions that some folks are capable of---awareness is always a good thing. 

In my view, the only folks who would be resistant to this strategy would be the perpetrators themselves...  hm

On 5/4/2022 at 12:08 AM, bighairjer said:

What do you think?  Some kid using the comic as a placemat for finger painting?  Some type of factory spillage?  Murder scene artifact?

Love to hear your thoughts!

My first thought is that ASM #50 is a key book worth a considerable amount of money even in low grade. In other words, the kind of book that's more likely to have been tampered with because even a little improvement can mean big money. And when there's something unusual such as this stain/distribution ink anomaly, it should be closely examined.  

Better, clearer pictures of the entire book would be very helpful at this point, especially pictures of the entire cover and the page edges...    

On 5/8/2022 at 7:29 AM, Thunk said:

Love it lol 

You never know where you'll find the king of deception  (thumbsu

i wholeheartedly agree. The Devil is usually hiding in the details. Quite often enough, literally, in plain sight. And I already know you're probably not going to believe this but I've seen it happen time and time again, shudder to think, right?. History is an endless loop. A conveyor belt. Nothing is new. Be vigilant and above all, beware: 

Edited by James J Johnson