• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 2 results!
4 4

65 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2022 at 10:28 PM, grendelbo said:

Any guess (I hate calling it that) within 2 grades of what CGC calls a book is something to be proud of.

A grade off is excellent grading by CGC standards.

A bulleye is excellent grading with the same luck as a flip of a coin.

3 grades off show that you know how to grade pretty well. 

I dont know grading a 4.0 as a 2.5 like that Hulk is pretty awful grading IMO.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:31 PM, kav said:

I dont know grading a 4.0 as a 2.5 like that Hulk is pretty awful grading IMO.

Well yeah... I guess it is.

But it's pretty good grading. You're not calling a GD book VF. You're calling a VG book GD.

Edited by grendelbo

On 5/5/2022 at 1:25 AM, ttfitz said:
On 5/5/2022 at 1:17 AM, grendelbo said:

Or maybe a range like this -

NM

VF

FN

VG

GD

FR/PR

Old school simple and less questionable.

Expand  

Or if you really want to go old school:

Mint
Fine
Good
Fair
Poor

lol

For those folks unfamiliar with the history of grading, we've just cycled thru that history in reverse!

On 5/5/2022 at 1:36 AM, grendelbo said:

Well yeah... I guess it is.

But it's pretty good grading. You're not calling a GD book VF. You're calling a VG book GD.

Yeah, I've been joking around about how bad I'm doing (and relatively speaking, I AM doing bad), but I don't really feel too bad so far. I've got 20 points, and going on my "half a grade off doesn't count" theory (lol) we drop to 10. And given that most of the time I can't tell the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8, that drops off another 2 points. So I'm not really upset with the 8 points remaining - particularly since in 9 out of the 10 I graded stricter than the CGC grade (and the one that was higher was 4.5 for the 4.0).

On 5/4/2022 at 11:06 PM, ttfitz said:

Yeah, I've been joking around about how bad I'm doing (and relatively speaking, I AM doing bad), but I don't really feel too bad so far. I've got 20 points, and going on my "half a grade off doesn't count" theory (lol) we drop to 10. And given that most of the time I can't tell the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8, that drops off another 2 points. So I'm not really upset with the 8 points remaining - particularly since in 9 out of the 10 I graded stricter than the CGC grade (and the one that was higher was 4.5 for the 4.0).

plus you can knock off 3 points for CGC discrepencies and another 3 for not havin the books in hand and boom.  youre at 2 points!!!
^^

(worship)

Just a thought about the problem some folks had staying informed about the contest.  I wonder if CGC could just create a new account/avatar just for the grading contest?  Like "CGC Mike - Contest"?   Specifically, an account that members can follow and thus automatically be notified of any posts (which by definition would be limited to Contest-related matters)?    

Edited by Pantodude

I think you have to have some ability to keep yourself informed, reading and following PMs is important. But I agree that having a new thread for every round and every round results gets a bit crazy. Maybe the most current round of the contest can be stickied to the top of the PGM forum?

• Administrator

I was hoping the e-mail drip campaign I had installed could be used to send PM reminders that the next round has started.  Unfortunately, 

It would be too much work to set up.  I would have to manually add everyone to it.  If it worked on secondary groups, (your primary group is member) I would all you to one like "contest member" .  I'll tinker with this some more.  

The round runs for 4 days, and I always start the next one on the day the prior one ends.  It would seem that one could just show up every 4 days and not miss any rounds.  

Anyhow, I will entertain suggestions.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:31 AM, CGC Mike said:

The round runs for 4 days, and I always start the next one on the day the prior one ends.  It would seem that one could just show up every 4 days and not miss any rounds.  Anyhow, I will entertain suggestions.

While I'm a big fan of a postmortem review of each activity/endeavor (in an effort to determine what, if anything, can be tweaked to make the next iteration of that activity/endeavor more successful), I'm also a huge believer in the concept of personal responsibility.  This contest has a 100% consistent and predictable schedule (first laid out by Mike in his Rules post of April 4th).  As Mike notes above, nothing has changed.

When I was still working, I would typically have a half-dozen or more appointments on any given day.  If you're having a hard time remembering dates and times, use a calendar.  :preach: 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:09 AM, Pantodude said:

Just a thought about the problem some folks had staying informed about the contest.  I wonder if CGC could just create a new account/avatar just for the grading contest?  Like "CGC Mike - Contest"?   Specifically, an account that members can follow and thus automatically be notified of any posts (which by definition would be limited to Contest-related matters)?    

Good points, but I'm a dinosaur (according to my Wife) who is not here everyday, and I've managed to stay on it, and I appreciate the job and instructions Mike has given....just MHO

PS...I did need an reminder from an ETA Nick PSA that the contest was on like Donkey Kong

On 5/5/2022 at 2:57 AM, kav said:

plus you can knock off 3 points for CGC discrepencies and another 3 for not havin the books in hand and boom.  youre at 2 points!!!
^^

(worship)

There's gotta be some way to get rid of those last two points, can you get on that?

Part of grading is paying attention.  So read Mike's initial PM, keep an eye on buddy can you spare a grade, read each round to see when round ens-thats when next round begins.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, ttfitz said:

There's gotta be some way to get rid of those last two points, can you get on that?

yes.  In the category of "other".  That should do it.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, gradejunky said:

Grades in

:popcorn:

for round three or two? lol 

This is the results thread to round two, but it floats a boat I'm sure! :banana: 

:ohnoez:  :baiting:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, CGC Mike said:

Sorry, I misspoke.  The spreadsheet doesn't calculate grades above 9.8.  Only grades from .5 through 9.8 will be accepted.

So, now we know there will be no books 9.9 or 10?