• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apocalypse: Twelve & Age

10 posts in this topic

Okay,

I've postponed on asking this in the hopes that some media would cover it. But no luck. Why has the Apocalpyse Twelve storyline and a few of the related Age of Apocalpyse stories raised in considerable price (for modern books)? I don't see any continuity to recent storylines or even a relation to a movie. Was it due to the new X-men Legends II game storyline or even the recently released Age of Apocalpyse series?

Pat

My thinking is that the reasons for both are different. "The Twelve" storyline was a poor read in my opinion but some issues suffered from low production numbers. The Cable and Wolverine issues were not produced in the numbers that Uncanny X-Men and X-Men were. So there were a lot of people not being able to get those issues at their LCS. That was during the time that the comic industry was falling apart and people were running away in droves. Marvel was really watching their print numbers and I think that they might have underestimated the demand when they came out. As for AOA, this was the lone brightspot for The X-Men in the 90's. Everything else pretty much sucked. I think demand will always be there for the AOA issues since it was a great storyline and a great example of Marvel actually taking a chance and putting out a quality product. Of course 4 months later they were back to putting out [embarrassing lack of self control].

Thanks for the responses guys.

Kramerica, I agree and understand your assessment of the Age of Apocalpyse stuff.

I even agree that the Twelve storyline was very weak (though, conceptually, it could have been very good). It just always boggles my mind. If it was a low-print run at the time of release and no one wanted it, why would they now? Maybe an X-men 3 rush to complete holes in their sets and the issues were a low print run?

Or a nostalgia due to the new Age of Apocalpyse run (with crossovers to things such as Exiles).

Oddly, the Uncanny X-men and X-men "Twelve" issues are fetching some decent prices too.

Pat

I think it's a little of both. With the new AOA series I'm sure readers are curious about the original series, but the X-Men Legends II game will bring in more of the mainstream people that may not have been collectors at the time or just casual collectors. Though, to be honest, the game actually is set more in the Ultimate X-men universe that the regular MU. However, you CAN switch your characters to their original AOA costumes so that's a bonus. The Twelve storyline was just thrown together to clean up one of those plotlines that have been hinted at in X-men since the 80's. The same way the Onslaught storyline was done in part to show who the X-traitor was. Had a magazine at one time that listed all of the plotlines that X-men had left unfinished over the years...wish I still had it. Anyone know if they ever revealed who the third Summers brother is? Mr. Sinister mentioned it in passing like, 10 years ago, but I haven't seen any other references to that plotline. confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyone know if they ever revealed who the third Summers brother is? Mr. Sinister mentioned it in passing like, 10 years ago, but I haven't seen any other references to that plotline. confused-smiley-013.gif

To my knowledge, they haven't said who it is yet.....

I remember that magazine. I think it may have been Wizard.

I always felt the X-men were great because of these cool unknown backstories. But it seemed that they needed to rush and fill the voids. The Twelve, X-men Traitor, and 3rd brother thing could have all been really good. Now they are afterthoughts. Even the Seige Perilous return could have been awesome.

I think there was a hint that Gambit could have been the third brother (probably a red herring). And there was a story in X-men (Vol. II) about some dude named Adam X (something like that). I thought they eluded to it being him.

Pat

I remember that magazine. I think it may have been Wizard.

I always felt the X-men were great because of these cool unknown backstories. But it seemed that they needed to rush and fill the voids. The Twelve, X-men Traitor, and 3rd brother thing could have all been really good. Now they are afterthoughts. Even the Seige Perilous return could have been awesome.

I think there was a hint that Gambit could have been the third brother (probably a red herring). And there was a story in X-men (Vol. II) about some dude named Adam X (something like that). I thought they eluded to it being him.

Pat

I think in X-Men : The End, and you can take it for what its worth re: continuity, Gambit was the 3rd Summers brother...you'd think they could have found out just by training in the Danger Room, where they migh have accidentally nailed each other with their powers, and arent the Summers family all immune to each other? Gambit doesn't fit as his power is charging objects with kinetic energy to the point of overloading, but isn't cyclops and Havok more about manipulating force pulses? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, Havok and Cyclops are immune to each others powers so its assumed any other mutant family member would also be immune. I know originally it was hinted at that Gambit might be the 3rd brother and they did introduce Adam X "X-treme" and threw out a hint he might be as well, but as far as I've seen both of those hints/plots died pretty quick deaths with no answer either way. And its true that neither characters' powers work the same as the true Summers brothers who both absorb solar/cosmic energy like batteries and discharge it. I haven't read the X-men: The End books. I would have hoped they would have resolved it in the main books however. Not that it really matters, but heck, if they are going to clean up all the little plots I'd like to see this one finished as well.