• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-casing Tips, Experiences, Advice and Comments

6 posts in this topic

I recently moved and had one of the cases on a book damaged in the transition. 

It's just a chip in the back corner and cannot be seen on display, but you know we need it fixed. 

What has everyone's experience been, any advice or tips, suggestions on the process or overall comments? 

I am hesitant to send it in, but know it must be done. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by sdr1127

I don't what tip there would be other than to package the book securely.  I GUESS if you happen to be going to a convention that CGC is at anyways you could see if you can give submit it there and save on shipping.

Maybe take before pictures just in case for insurance purposes or in case something goes wrong (but that should be standard procedure).

I've sent many in over the years for reholder service due to cracks, old labels and/or wanting to get a custom label. Never had any issues and all have come back the same grade. Just pack safe as noted. 

On the flip side of reholdering...

I submitted for a reholder last year and still have not received part of the order back.  They are apparently swamped all across the board, including customer service because they do not return emails in any efficient manner either.  The main reason for the hold up is because one of the books got damaged so something returning a lower grade from a reholder is very possible.  CGC said it got damaged in shipping or when cracking it open.  Either way, CGC does not take liability and will charge you for grading service plus the extras if you want it re-cased.  At this point the only free option is to have the book sent back to you raw.

Like all things, experience will vary but things can happen as my experience shows.