• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine curl

9 posts in this topic

I'm new at comic collecting and wondering about this "spine curl".  It doesn't seem like the traditional spine roll since the front and back cover pages are aligned.  Does anyone know:

1) The official name of this "defect"?

2) How this impacts grading?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0074.jpg

A stacking bend maybe?

This does not look like a curl to me.  Rather, it looks like a stacking impression.  It's caused by the weight of books above this one in the stack (and the fact that the adjacent book in the stack was slightly misaligned).  I've seen this defect scores of times in original owner collections, where the books were stored flat, without sleeves and boards.  Stacking impressions rarely break color, but they may lead to a grade deduction if the book is otherwise high grade.  Fortunately, they can almost always be eliminated via a properly performed, non-restorative press.  :foryou:

On 5/8/2022 at 11:10 AM, zzutak said:

This does not look like a curl to me.  Rather, it looks like a stacking impression.  It's caused by the weight of books above this one in the stack (and the fact that the adjacent book in the stack was slightly misaligned).  I've seen this defect scores of times in original owner collections, where the books were stored flat, without sleeves and boards.  Stacking impressions rarely break color, but they may lead to a grade deduction if the book is otherwise high grade.  Fortunately, they can almost always be eliminated via a properly performed, non-restorative press.  :foryou:

Seems like the same thing to me. (shrug)

On 5/9/2022 at 5:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Seems like the same thing to me. (shrug)

They are actually two different blemishes.  Two different outcomes due to two different long-term storage errors.  I've discussed the reason for stacking curl here.  Compare that to the reason for a stacking impression presented above.  If you'd like to create a stacking impression yourself, use the set-up shown below.  If you leave the heavy weight in place for a several weeks, your comic will develop a clear impression parallel to (and about 1" in from) it's unbound vertical edge.

Stack-Imp.thumb.jpg.edb4d241e3c3a3525dfe0d195f3d46a5.jpg

Have you ever seen a comic that was once placed under a sheet of paper which was then written on (with a heavy hand), and that now has a clear writing impression on the cover?  Stacking impressions and writing impressions are both caused by downward pressure.  The only difference is time: writing impressions occur immediately (due to the very high pressure at the tip of the pen/pencil), whereas stacking impressions develop slowly (due to a much lower pressure being applied).  Physics.  :foryou:

On 5/10/2022 at 9:29 AM, zzutak said:

They are actually two different blemishes.  Two different outcomes due to two different long-term storage errors.  I've discussed the reason for stacking curl here.  Compare that to the reason for a stacking impression presented above.  If you'd like to create a stacking impression yourself, use the set-up shown below.  If you leave the heavy weight in place for a several weeks, your comic will develop a clear impression parallel to (and about 1" in from) it's unbound vertical edge.

Stack-Imp.thumb.jpg.edb4d241e3c3a3525dfe0d195f3d46a5.jpg

Have you ever seen a comic that was once placed under a sheet of paper which was then written on (with a heavy hand), and that now has a clear writing impression on the cover?  Stacking impressions and writing impressions are both caused by downward pressure.  The only difference is time: writing impressions occur immediately (due to the very high pressure at the tip of the pen/pencil), whereas stacking impressions develop slowly (due to a much lower pressure being applied).  Physics.  :foryou:

Please stop confusing us with scientific reasons to prove why things bad happen to good comics. 

On 5/7/2022 at 1:20 PM, Paul Seu said:

I'm new at comic collecting and wondering about this "spine curl".  It doesn't seem like the traditional spine roll since the front and back cover pages are aligned.  Does anyone know:

1) The official name of this "defect"?

2) How this impacts grading?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0074.jpg

I don't usually recommend pressing, but this book looks like a pretty good candidate...

On 5/10/2022 at 11:52 AM, The Lions Den said:

I don't usually recommend pressing, but this book looks like a pretty good candidate...

I do agree but it's a very high pop book and going rate in 9.8 is sinking.

Going rate now in 9.6 is $60-$70 and dropping. In 8-10 months when the book returns to the submitter a 9.6 might be as low as $35-45 .  IMHO simply not worth the grading and pressing fees and probably loosing money if it falls short of 9.8.

Edited by MAR1979