• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Memorable Neal Adams Covers
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, We all know that we lost two of the greatest artists ever this week. In memory of Mr. Adams I thought maybe discussing and posting some of his greatest covers would be nice.

What do you think are his most memorable covers? Not just now but will be in years to come. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

image.png.0fdecab020014b5bd0d1cb427095f368.png

I still remember coming across this cover for the first time. This mind blowing scene was a shocker. Such a dramatic cover with the colored halftone photo and the comic book elements and how Neal worked them together, amazing! We just did our top 5 SA Flash covers over in the Flash thread but if we had included early Bronze this would have been my personal #1.

Assuming this is Neal’s most memorable pre-Bronze Age covers? Otherwise, we are going to see a number of Bronze Age Batman books posted all over this Silver Age thread. As far as Silver Age covers, there’s one cover that Neal did which trumps everything else for me (his greatest cover ever in fact): Tomahawk 116.

Edited by bronze johnny

So many choices and so many stand out. No one could capture emotion and perspective like Neal.

1777077363_braveandthebold79edited.jpg.31da022b425700211b475ca72512cd01.jpg

Also, I think some of his work on Superboy covers gets overlooked, but these two have always stood out to me. Mr. Cipher there in #150 kind of reminds me of a Sentinel and the raw emotion in #164 pulls you right into the horrific tragedy of the scene.

1473778991_superboy150_edited.jpg.2d6c1671bb93a63ecccebde12cb78541.jpg1579433245_superboy164_edited.jpg.c6239c782909e84103a3c5801e0b10ca.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

So hard to believe he's gone! If any of you are interested over on the YouTubes there is a great discussion on the Cartoonists Kayfabe channel. Nearly an hour long interview with Rob Liefeld on the mastery and influence of Neal. Just amazing stuff!

On 5/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, bronze johnny said:

Assuming this is Neal’s most memorable pre-Bronze Age covers? Otherwise, we are going to see a number of Bronze Age Batman books posted all over this Silver Age thread. As far as Silver Age covers, there’s one cover that Neal did which trumps everything else for me (his greatest cover ever in fact): Tomahawk 116.

Hi Johnny. I was thinking being that he started his career in the 1960's that this would be the best place. I don't think it matters much in this case. I am curious to see what other collecters consider his most memorable work. 

On 5/10/2022 at 6:33 AM, Professor K said:

Hi Johnny. I was thinking being that he started his career in the 1960's that this would be the best place. I don't think it matters much in this case. I am curious to see what other collecters consider his most memorable work. 

Game on for Bronze then? :)

On 5/10/2022 at 7:33 AM, Professor K said:

Hi Professor K and thanks for starting this thread! Neal is one of the immortals in comic books and there can never be enough said or written about him. That said, Neal’s work on Batman will continue to be the most popular and for good reason given covers like Bats 227, 251, and Tec 400 & 402. Also, Ras’ first appearance in Bats 232 makes it a landmark book and who can forget 234, and 237. Supes 233 and DC 100 Pagers like Super Spectacular 5 and Superman 252 are also incredible and the landmark Green Lantern run is forever a classic. These books all share a Bronze Age connection. There’s so much that’s memorable about Neal that his corpus of work will keep us all in awe! 

On 5/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, Mr. Gueermo said:

I'm pretty sure that's Joe Kubert there between The Flash and the woman (thumbsu

Some have speculated it's Stan Lee, I don't think it looks anything like Stan Lee from that era.