• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Colored in" interior pages
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2022 at 1:56 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Should an experiment be performed here? Most of these Millies have such pages, yes?

It would be intriguing to see what a nice coloured page vs a not nice coloured page vs an "old" coloured page (assuming CGC would care if it appeared to have been coloured a long time ago or recently) would grade.

Personally I am in the camp of 5.0 for this book....there are some that I feel are much lower. But a messy coloured page I would personally drop to a 4.0

I think you're in the right range. Any way you look at it, there's a VG in there...  :bigsmile:

This would seem a candidate for a qualified grade, though I suppose the same could be said of a puzzle filled out, though that seems less obtrusive. 

I see a few places where the image was colored outside the lines, so that might impact the grade a little. :whistle:

Since this topic has received so much attention, I'd add that a lot of times something like this boils down to a judgement call and what you're comfortable with.

Another thing to keep in mind is whether the flaw or flaws are allowable in the grade range. For example, I've seen books with a 2" tear in one of the pages still receive a grade in the upper VF range. For me, that's pushing it too far and I wouldn't be happy if I discovered that particular flaw in a book that was graded 8.5.

But I really can't see any reason why a neatly colored in coloring page shouldn't be allowable in the VG range...   

On 10/25/2022 at 8:19 AM, The Lions Den said:

Since this topic has received so much attention, I'd add that a lot of times something like this boils down to a judgement call and what you're comfortable with.

Another thing to keep in mind is whether the flaw or flaws are allowable in the grade range. For example, I've seen books with a 2" tear in one of the pages still receive a grade in the upper VF range. For me, that's pushing it too far and I wouldn't be happy if I discovered that particular flaw in a book that was graded 8.5.

But I really can't see any reason why a neatly colored in coloring page shouldn't be allowable in the VG range...   

How much of a deduction for this?

32227480-C00B-4342-8396-36DA875ECE0A.thumb.jpeg.7d6a7301bcb2451039b6241fb9dba1c9.jpeg

On 10/26/2022 at 3:29 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How much of a deduction for this?

32227480-C00B-4342-8396-36DA875ECE0A.thumb.jpeg.7d6a7301bcb2451039b6241fb9dba1c9.jpeg

It would of course depend on the condition of the rest of the book, but my sense of it is that this wouldn't affect the grade much. However, if I were selling it, I'd make note of it for any potential buyers...  

I've asked a similar question on books with puzzles completed/ink on interior pages in the past without a satisfactory answer, so have submitted a high grade book recently with this to get a gauge on the impacts. Will update this thread with results in the hope we can get an insight.

On 12/9/2022 at 10:58 PM, Every Day A Story said:

I've asked a similar question on books with puzzles completed/ink on interior pages in the past without a satisfactory answer, so have submitted a high grade book recently with this to get a gauge on the impacts. Will update this thread with results in the hope we can get an insight.

It seems we have an answer courtesy of this ebay listing for Captain Britain #8 (I have a similar high grade book in for grading with puzzles filled out too). Look like these books will receive green qualified label.

On 2/4/2023 at 1:48 AM, Every Day A Story said:

Look like these books will receive green qualified label.

Apparently, for books above a certain "otherwise" grade.  The questions (as always with CGC) are: (1) what exactly is that grade threshold; and (2) are there any other conditions/requirements (aside from grade) not immediately apparent from this single example.  I have dozens of examples of mid-grade books with crayon and/or ink markings on puzzle pages that have been awarded Universal Grades and encapsulated with Blue Labels.  Here are just a few:

75c1.thumb.jpg.b7170ab4fd07ea635ff8d9435562eec4.jpg 60c1.thumb.jpg.4afc1088f08f7de53940cc8a1b2b1507.jpg 60c2.thumb.jpg.71f47b3da4c3d51cdb2c903008950844.jpg 55c1.thumb.jpg.b1e372b604ce79d0ecf125009b0b5a88.jpg 55c2.thumb.jpg.ca790765226aeba7edb3a7b0537bbc8c.jpg 40c2.thumb.jpg.9310c49cbf672c8e9a8b6bb4d4321931.jpg

I'm always hesitant to draw any firm conclusions about CGC's grading rubric on the basis of a single example (since CGC graders have been known to occasionally deviate from the company's own "generally understood" standards).  Hence, anyone with other examples of crayon-marked books being encapsulated with Green Labels (because of the crayon, not some other "qualified-eligible" defect like a detached or married cover) should feel free to share 'em here.  Many thanks!  :foryou:

On 2/4/2023 at 9:48 AM, Every Day A Story said:

It seems we have an answer courtesy of this ebay listing for Captain Britain #8 (I have a similar high grade book in for grading with puzzles filled out too). Look like these books will receive green qualified label.

Going off topic here: That back cover doesn't look like 9.6 material. It's in a right state!

On 2/4/2023 at 10:59 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Going off topic here: That back cover doesn't look like 9.6 material. It's in a right state!

Agreed. That doesn't look like a 9.6 back cover for that book (I have a handful - they certainly don't look like that!).

Edited by Every Day A Story