• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending CBCS slabs into CGC
2 2

33 posts in this topic

I've had a handful of books moved from CBCS slabs to CGC over the years. I've generally had neutral or good outcomes on the high-grade books and poorer outcomes with the mid-grades. My theory is that -- setting aside the question of what distinguishes a 9.6 from a 9.8 (and the problem of QA failures, which is... a different issue) -- most anyone can tell if a book is extremely high grade. Are there any ticks, creases, folds, color rubs, bends, dents, and so forth? No? Well, then it's a high grade book, give or take those couple of wiggly points at the top.

However, when you've got a book with a bunch of spine stress, a crease on the back cover, and a bit of contact fraying along the bottom edge, the final outcome is going to depend on how different graders and grading companies view those flaws. Does one grading system place more stress on the size of a crease versus its apparent severity? And so forth. So if CBCS thought a book was a 6.0, and it came back in a 5.0 CGC slab, I think that's reasonably understandable.

I don't think CBCS is inherently softer or that they're a defective competitor. I do prefer CGC, although I really, really need them to get the QA issues tucked away soon. Regardless, I think the CBCS labels are really ugly, and that breaks ties pretty cleanly. PGX, as always, is a joke.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Agreed. 

But a CBCS 8.0 might equal a CGC 9.8

Lucky for the submitter. I received a Tec #359 CBCS 6.0 in a trade, sent it in to CGC earlier this year, and it came back recently at CGC 3.0 due to the undisclosed spine split by CBCS. When the book was cracked open it was a nasty shock to see, to say the least, but not the first time I have had bad outcomes when opening CBCS graded books.

Edited by kimik

On 5/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, namisgr said:

I'm certain CBCS will be happy to crack a comic out of a CGC slab, then grade and slab it.

As to whether a CBCS grade is relevant to a discussion, to me that depends on what the discussion is about.  We had a lengthy thread in which people described their results when having comics graded by both companies.

Oh, I know they'll all grade books from other slabs. 

What I learned is that CGC has given the service a title. "Crossover", lol.  

Someone called it a "crossover grade", which I knew they didn't do, that's why I asked for clarification.  Grade is irrelevant.   It's "Crossover service" because it's going from one brand to another.... or something just as stupid. 

On 5/11/2022 at 5:11 PM, kimik said:

Lucky for the submitter. I received a Tec #359 CBCS 6.0 in a trade, sent it in to CGC earlier this year, and it came back recently at CGC 3.0 due to the undisclosed spine split by CBCS. When the book was cracked open it was a nasty shock to see, to say the least, but not the first time I have had bad outcomes when opening CBCS graded books.

Literally the opposite of most posts/videos I see. 

Also a big reason CBCS TATs have increased ridiculously over the past 18 months. 

Those photos you removed when you replied to me.... are not uncommon. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 5/12/2022 at 2:46 PM, Therapy? said:

I thought the graders had no idea where the book came from?

CGC is rather secretive about things.  I stand by my original statement.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/13/2022 at 10:09 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Is this yours????

Man I just sent in a copy that looks better so I guess I can expect a 10.0 :insane:

No, not mine.  Found in the "Where was quality Control" thread.