• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Allegience Comics
1 1

5 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

So, I was at Wal-Mart yesterday, and I saw this:

IMG_4806.thumb.JPG.16e4a52cef0554d1e74f1647cbf89d2f.JPG

Anyone know much about these? From a quick Google search, I found their website (https://www.allegiancearts.com/) and it looks like it was maybe a crowd-funded thing and are Wal-Mart exclusive?

I honestly didn't know they were still dumping money into these WalMart endcaps.

So, these are the creation of an indie company called Allegiance Arts & Entertainment. They launched in 2020, with four different titles -- Bass Reeves, Futurists, Norah's Saga, Red Rooster -- each with two issues apiece. At some point (2021?) they all got their 3rd issue. As far as I know they're essentially WalMart exclusives, although I think there may have been some direct sales as well. I can see Futurists #1 and 3, Red Rooster #1 and 2, and Bass Reeves #2 in that screenshot.

The people behind Allegiance are a husband and wife team, Mitch and Elizabeth Breitweiser. Their stated goal was to attempt to recreate the newsstand rack in a new (that is to say, WalMart-y) form in an effort to get a new generation of kids interested in comics. Most industry analysts were... let's say dubious that a bunch of unknown titles at $5 a pop could ever possibly sell in enough volume to even pay for the likely costs of those WalMart endcaps (their 2020 rollout was in 3000 stores!). I was fairly sure this was a failed experiment that had quietly disappeared, but I guess they're still a going concern for now.

As an aside, I will note that the Breitweisers are, erm, controversial figures for the same reasons that Ethan Van Sciver and Richard Meyer are. And that's all I have to say about that.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:06 PM, Qalyar said:

I honestly didn't know they were still dumping money into these WalMart endcaps.

So, these are the creation of an indie company called Allegiance Arts & Entertainment. They launched in 2020, with four different titles -- Bass Reeves, Futurists, Norah's Saga, Red Rooster -- each with two issues apiece. At some point (2021?) they all got their 3rd issue. As far as I know they're essentially WalMart exclusives, although I think there may have been some direct sales as well. I can see Futurists #1 and 3, Red Rooster #1 and 2, and Bass Reeves #2 in that screenshot.

The people behind Allegiance are a husband and wife team, Mitch and Elizabeth Breitweiser. Their stated goal was to attempt to recreate the newsstand rack in a new (that is to say, WalMart-y) form in an effort to get a new generation of kids interested in comics. Most industry analysts were... let's say dubious that a bunch of unknown titles at $5 a pop could ever possibly sell in enough volume to even pay for the likely costs of those WalMart endcaps (their 2020 rollout was in 3000 stores!). I was fairly sure this was a failed experiment that had quietly disappeared, but I guess they're still a going concern for now.

As an aside, I will note that the Breitweisers are, erm, controversial figures for the same reasons that Ethan Van Sciver and Richard Meyer are. And that's all I have to say about that.

Wow, that's interesting, thanks! Yeah, I was shocked to see these - I almost grabbed a couple of Marvel/DC packs, but I put them back because my luck hasn't been great with them recently. But then I walked back by the books and was really surprised to see actual loose issues of comics on an end cap. The quality (paper/printing) seemed ok, but nothing really caught me eye to buy. But I figured I'd snap a quick pic since I hadn't seen these anywhere else.

I like the Allegiance books, but they take far too long to come out. The 4th issues have come out digitally, I believe, but not physically yet. Also, they have another title coming out soon called The Saints. They've also done various crowdfunding deals for graphic novels of their series. I'd really just like to get the comics, personally. I know there was a controversy with the Kickstarter for Red Rooster when they were getting started. Backers got their rewards after Walmart got their books, which ticked a lot of people off.