• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snake-people covers
1 1

55 posts in this topic

So, trying to organize this a bit. There are several "body plans" for snake-people, I'll use that to break these out.

Arms + tail, no legs (many depictions of naga, lamia, were-snakes, and many of D&D's yuan-ti; upper body may be human-like or reptilian)

• Adventures into Terror #25 (Atlas, 1953): Males, humanoid upper body with reptilian features.
  • Alien Legion: Male, humanoid alien upper body. Sarigar is one of the main characters in this mil sci-fi series
    • Alien Legion (1st Series) #1-#20 (Marvel, 1984-1987). Sarigar is on many of the covers, and is the series logo on all of them!
    • Alien Legion (2nd Series) #1, #2, #14 (Marvel, 1987-1990). Less cover time for Sarigar this time around. I think he's on #18, but his body shape isn't obvious there.
    • Alien Legion Uncivil War #1-#4 (Titan, 2014). He's cover material for the entire revival mini-series.
  • Conan the Barbarian #164 (Marvel, 1982): Female, human torso with medusa head.
  • Hot Stuf' (Sal Q, 1978): Indeterminate gender, serpentine torso, neck, and head, but with arms. Magazine format.
  • Psycho #4 (Skywald, 1971): Female, human upper body. Magazine format.
  • Savage Sword of Conan #65 (Marvel, 1981): Female, human torso with serpentine head. Magazine format.
  • Secrets of Haunted House #20 (DC, 1980): Female, human upper body.
  • Skeleton Hand #2 (American Comics Group, 1952): Female, human upper body
  • Unexpected #192 (DC, 1979): Male, reptilian upper body.
  • Villains for Hire #1 (Marvel, 2012): Male, essentially human upper body.

No arms or legs, humanoid head (this is D&D's version of naga, among others)

• Adventures into the Unknown #24 (ACG, 1952). Male, reptilian head. Teensy tiny little arms, but certainly not a humanoid torso. I stand by my arbitrary snake categorizations.
  • Conan the Barbarian #7 (Marvel, 1971): Male, medusa head.
  • Fantastic Fears #3 (Farrel, 1953): Male and female, human heads.

Arms and legs, but clearly serpentine head (often difficult to distinguish from lizardmen, dragon-people, and other sundry reptiles)

• Avengers Annual #21 (Marvel, 1992): Male, snake-headed reptilian humanoid (headshot only)
  • Justice League of America #116 (DC, 1975): Male, snake-headed human (a transformed Elongated Man)
  • Masters of the Universe [#34, "King of the Snake Men"] (DC/Mattel, 1986). Male, snake-headed reptilian humanoid.
  • Kull the Conqueror #2 (Marvel, 1971): Male, snake-headed humans.

Uncertain-if-it-counts holding pen

• Eerie #3 (Warren, 1966). Canonically a sea monster, but it's fairly serpentine. Frazetta is always awesome, but not sure if this counts.
  • Super Mystery Comics v2#5, v2#6 (Ace, 1942). Reptilian humanoid but not a serpentine head, despite being named The Cobra.
  • Rawhide Kid #37 (Marvel, 1963). Well, it's a guy in a reptile costume, but he calls himself The Rattler.
  • Warlord #3 (DC, 1976). Canonically, these are lizardmen, not snakes. A fantastic genre cover regardless.
  • Zip Comics #13 (MLJ, 1941). Possibly category 3, but he's breathing fire like a dragon. OTOH, he's named The Rattler, so maybe...
Edited by Qalyar

Updated the summary post with some of the recent candidates. Not included in that list are covers with normal-shaped snakes, no matter how large -- or how awesome the cover is, because a lot of these really are. That's not to say a list of snake covers wouldn't be interesting to put together, it's just not the current project.

I'm also leaving out The Thing #15, as the story there is called "The Worm Turns", and explicitly calls the cover monster a super-worm. Ditko monsters are still always cool, though.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:21 AM, Namtak said:

That eerie 3:cloud9:that one is definetly on my list!

I love that Eerie #3 cover although I'm hesitant to add it to my snakepeople list. It's obviously underwater, and Frazetta officially titled that piece "Sea Monster", if I remember correctly. So I don't think it's actually intended to be a snake-creature.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:50 PM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

What? No trouser snake covers? 

Where's Jimmers when you need him :grin:

This looks a bit like a snake though:

@JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hypno-snake.gif.1c8bbf7d7ca697c23f7db553a06d5d94.gif

On 5/11/2022 at 9:25 AM, Qalyar said:

I love that Eerie #3 cover although I'm hesitant to add it to my snakepeople list. It's obviously underwater, and Frazetta officially titled that piece "Sea Monster", if I remember correctly. So I don't think it's actually intended to be a snake-creature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_snake

They're not mutually exclusive... and the cover is great enough that I think you should lean into it.