• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Cleaning & Pressing doing onsite Pressing at cons?
5 5

95 posts in this topic

I think most folks here would prefer their pressing be done in a stable, controlled environment, and without time constraints or an audience that might be distracting.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, Gary Strange said:

Ran across this video on youtube.  I would personally steer clear of these guys (just look how they crack the slab) but what do you think?

So first they mishandle the books, then they press the new defects out?

Genuis :eyeroll:

On 5/13/2022 at 12:40 PM, MattTheDuck said:

What I know about the technical requirements or pressing could be written on the back of a postage stamp, but I think it takes somewhat longer than this if you want the improvements to be long-lasting.

I’m not sure the guy being interviewed even understands that comics are condition sensitive.  Tossing that raw book around the way he did, and the way he cracked the slab?:facepalm:

Pretty sure goons like this showing up at conventions is the first sign of the impending apocalypse....

On 5/13/2022 at 1:20 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m not sure the guy being interviewed even understands that comics are condition sensitive.  Tossing that raw book around the way he did, and the way he cracked the slab?:facepalm:

Pretty sure goons like this showing up at conventions is the first sign of the impending apocalypse....

This is one small step up from guys using clothes irons. The sheer volume of fly-by-night pressers out there is staggering, and the damage they are doing is incalculable.

Just check out any of the Facebook Pressing Groups. There is some good knowledge there and reputable pressers, but also a ton of low information corner cutters looking to make a quick buck. 

On 5/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

This is one small step up from guys using clothes irons. The sheer volume of fly-by-night pressers out there is staggering, and the damage they are doing is incalculable.

Just check out any of the Facebook Pressing Groups. There is some good knowledge there and reputable pressers, but also a ton of low information corner cutters looking to make a quick buck. 

It’s a gong show.  No market can survive the influx of this many idgits at once.  When it all goes sideways, the 90s crash is going to look like a picnic in comparison.

I mean, sure, this take on pressing is slipshod and insufficient and pretty much a one-way ticket to defect reversion. But the way he handles books and cracks that slab is horrifying. He could have the best pressing process in the world, and I still wouldn't let anyone who handles books like that touch even the drekiest drek in my collection.

When taxi drivers start talking about their stocks, it's time to get out of the market.

When bartenders start talking about income from rental hoimes, its time to sell

When hacks start pressing......

I would have thought that video was a joke if it didn't actually appear to be at a real convention and if they weren't using comics with some actual dollar value.  I cannot imagine spending whatever that guy spent on that comic only to watch the "professional presser" manhandle it like that.  The way he cracked that slab is going to haunt my dreams.  I wonder how many color breaking spine ticks he's created with that method. :screwy:

This is pretty much what we knew would happen. Rapid market expansion, people smell money, and suddenly you have a gaggle of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons running around with a t-shirt press and a tacking iron. Meanwhile, CGC can't seem to get the whole grading/encapsulating business down lately. Feels like a very good time to stick with raw, original owner books.