• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOOM Magazine

46 posts in this topic

FOOM… Treasury Edition Books… Power Records… Megos… we really had some all-time cool stuff in the 70’s.  
Just sayin’

FYI - I also readily admit we had (and I owned) Marvel Mood Rings… so it wasn’t all biscuits and gravy 😂

All that being said? This FOOM first appearance speculation is the kookie fruit from the haha bush. Hope it doesn’t last so people aren’t priced out of being able to snag old copies to check them out. 

On 5/15/2022 at 11:22 AM, Artboy99 said:

Foom 2  contains a kid's comic character creation named The Wolverine that came out before Incredible Hulk 180 - 181.

Yes.

The design clearly shows some form of regeneration

No, but I guess if you're familiar with the real Wolverine, you could make that leap.

and the character has some kind of metal "skeleton" under his skin.

It appears to be some sort of android or cyborg.

Perhaps it is not Marvel's Wolverine character, but the parallels can't be ignored.

It sure isn't, and the few, very superficial similarities can be ignored.

It is also clear none of you have read Andy Olsen's interview regarding this

zzz

that isn't proof the kid wasn't ripped off.

There is no proof that Wolverine was based on or even slightly influenced by whatever that is in FOOM 2.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes.

No, but I guess if you're familiar with the real Wolverine, you could make that leap.

zzz

There is no proof that Wolverine was based on or even slightly influenced by whatever that is in FOOM 2.

Fair enough. :wavingwhiteflag:

On 5/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, jdandns said:

$2,100+ for the set, not bad!

I just noticed the cover of the new Image Comics anthology is an homage to Foom #3 (although I'm not seeing the "after Steranko". Bad form?)

image1.jpg

foom4.jpg

Off topic but that's interesting that they're using Youngblood, a property they don't own, and the current owner will make a fuss about, unless he's given up on all his grand promises to make everyone a superstar, including actual existing superstar creators (this is a guy who knows nothing a out comics past 1992). Or are they just poking the bear? I hope this is a good sign for Liefeld getting the property back, as laugh all you want, the last series was highly enjoyable. 

On 5/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes.

On same page is also a "Quasar" and  "Star-Hawk"

On 5/18/2022 at 7:57 PM, MAR1979 said:

Interesting. Guess some sources are wrong; http://perez.comicbookseries.info/checklist-20/marvel-comics/f-o-o-m/f-o-o-m-22-fall-1978

Solid work by Budiansky!

Agreed. And apologies if my comment came across as snarky. It was not my intention but reading it again in your quote it sounds a bit curt. :foryou:

On 5/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes.

zzz

Cyborg FOOM Wolverine vs the Legion of Super-Heroes’ Timber Wolf.

As far as influence goes, no real contest.

On 5/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, B2D327 said:

The fact that marvel settled out of court with his family basically puts a stamp on it

When did this happen? Also, why would it be with his family? What happened to Andy?

On 5/20/2022 at 7:19 AM, Lazyboy said:

When did this happen? Also, why would it be with his family? What happened to Andy?

Probably because he was a minor, so it'd have to be his family? But yeah, first I've heard of this, too. Deets, please. 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

Seems at least as of 2014 Andy was fine.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-456/

No mention of any lawsuit or settlement at least via google search.

I am curious was there ever any pending case? There have been much stronger cases for Character creation that courts have shot down. Back in the 1970's one this legally flimsy would have been a quick loss for the plaintiff.

Edited by MAR1979

Look here!...#2 is sought after because my name is in it! Not because of Fauxverine 😉 Yes, as a wee lad, I entered the contest and still have all my FOOM's up to 16 along w/ the orignal kit. They also goofed up and sent me  ANOTHER complete kit @4 months after the 1st one I recieved and I've kept that as a NOS 👍

Edited by CJ Design

On 5/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

Here’s the interview I remember reading some years ago. I think I found another one that took place later with more details after the first X movie but can’t find that one

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/talking-to-andy-olson-the-original-creator-of-marvels-wolverine-comics/