• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOOM Magazine

46 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, batmiesta said:

The last one went for around the $30,000 mark, so no, not interested. :insane:

agree!

But this latest sale was $5400, huge drop from previous 9.8

On 5/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, Artboy99 said:

Interesting points of view.

Foom 2  contains a kid's comic character creation named The Wolverine that came out before Incredible Hulk 180 - 181. The design clearly shows some form of regeneration and the character has some kind of metal "skeleton" under his skin. Perhaps it is not Marvel's Wolverine character, but the parallels can't be ignored.

It is also clear none of you have read Andy Olsen's interview regarding this:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/talking-to-andy-olson-the-original-creator-of-marvels-wolverine-comics/

Lawsuit? No, but that isn't proof the kid wasn't ripped off.

20220515_102459.jpg

I know from personal experience that Marvel "stole" ideas from letter writers/character submitters all the time. Tom DeFalco has even admitted to this during his run on Amazing Spider-Man. For my ( very small ) part, when I was 11 I sent in a very crude drawing of a character with Spider-Man's costume and spider legs coming out of his sides, I called him "Spider-Kid".

A few months later...

asm263stolen.jpg.e97c442d4f1c9dbf606ae75ab8f605ae.jpg

Where's my check, Marvel??? :censored:

On 6/2/2023 at 9:59 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I know from personal experience that Marvel "stole" ideas from letter writers/character submitters all the time. Tom DeFalco has even admitted to this during his run on Amazing Spider-Man. For my ( very small ) part, when I was 11 I sent in a very crude drawing of a character with Spider-Man's costume and spider legs coming out of his sides, I called him "Spider-Kid".

A few months later...

asm263stolen.jpg.e97c442d4f1c9dbf606ae75ab8f605ae.jpg

Where's my check, Marvel??? :censored:

Did it end up published in foom? I know others got paid, but regardless a very cool contribution 😉

Some were solicited and paid for in the end, but 😆 I remember trying to get my fan art on an envelope into Nintendo Power early on (or was it Game Fan magazine?) And it is not an easy feat!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/2/2023 at 8:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Did it end up published in foom? I know others got paid, but regardless a very cool contribution 😉

Some were solicited and paid for in the end, but 😆 I remember trying to get my fan art on an envelope into Nintendo Power early on (or was it Game Fan magazine?) And it is not an easy feat!

FOOM had become Marvel Age by that time, and I'm pretty sure there was no preview of Spider-Kid in that mag. There was zero possibility the character increased sales one iota, so I would never expect payment for my "contribution". For me, it's just cool to have possibly had a hand in a character that appeared a couple of times in my favorite title. Osnick had appeared as Kid Ock before that and then became the Steel Spider, which is fine by me since his Spider-Kid was a far cry from my original idea of a serious character called Spider-Kid.