• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver/Golden Age near Newport/Providence/Boston New England/ Washington, DC area
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I am going to be going through Naval ODS in Newport Rhode Island this summer.  After I finish I will be stationed in Bethesda, MD before being stationed in North Carolina.  Does anyone know if are there any comic shops in these aresa that would have great silver age walls - CGC comics?  I would love to go in a shop that might deal in the bigger books.  My dad talks about the good old days when he'd go in comic shops and they would have runs of early Spidey on the walls etc ... he was referring to some shops he went to in Cincinnati and the suburbs of Washington, DC.  He talks about going in a shop as a boy near Silver Spring, MD and they had X 1-3, Spidey 1-3, Avengers 1-3 and so on.  He also talks about a shop he went to in South Florida 30 years ago - and they had all sorts of golden age books - Timely's and so on. I'm not even sure comic shops exist anymore that stock or display that kind of stuff. There are not a lot of comic shops in my home area of South Georgia - but I have never seen any comic shop with vintage/CGC inventory ... they primarily just have modern stuff and maybe a few CGC silver/bronze books.  Anyway - I would love to go in a shop that deals in the bigger vintage key books and am thinking maybe there is a shop like that in the New Englad area.  I know stores like these in the age of internet have probably gone the way of Blockbuster/Sears/K-Mart/ and Circuit City, but I know these sorts of stores are still out there - for example A-1 comics out in California would appear to have that sort of inventory in stock and display.  So if you know anything about a shop that would be offer me that sort of experience - in the Newport Rhode Island area or Washington, DC area - I would love to know about it - so I could visit.  I see there are many shops in New England, but I am looking for the silver/golden age experience.  Thanks for any replies.

Pickings are slim around here. In Cranston, RI, you could check out the Time Capsule, they have some SA on the wall. Very little Gold hangs around at that shop.

In my experience, New England Comics in Quincy, MA is your best bet. They have a Gold/Silver room (or did, anyway... I haven't visited since the pandemic).

On 5/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, Pokemon92 said:

He talks about going in a shop as a boy near Silver Spring, MD

This very well could have been one of Geppi's early shops. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Lots of great suggestions. 

I'll try to keep this limited to whats near RI, though if you feel like driving Chris's comics in NH and SuperWorld near Worcester are well worth the trip.  SuperWorld isn't really a "shop" so you may want to email and make sure they'll be there before you drop in.  

Closer to RI, I'll echo New England Comics in Quincy.  They are a cool place. They originally published "The Tic" so there is a cool history there. Also they have a gold and silver room which usually has a good mix of books. I picked a few cool EC books from them over the summer. 

Revive collectibles in South Western RI has a pretty good selection of wall books, though many of their big keys have been picked out. 

If your more into modern keys, Comically Speaking in North Reading MA (a longer drive from RI) usually has a few short boxes of graded moderns and signature books.

Thanks for the insights - and wonderfully piper posted a similar thread for California and I have appreciated comments on that thread also. 

I will add ... while a good show would certainly afford opportunities to see gold/silver/wall books CGC and raw ... I like the thought of going in some comic shops that still emphasize vintage books as opposed to just the modern material.  Anyway - as I've never been to the Rhode Island/New England area - I really appreciate the insights others have offered and look forward to hitting a couple of these shops. 

Also nobody has mentioned any shops in the Washington DC area?  DC has quite a big footprint reaching north to Baltimore, MD and although it is a bit of a drive - Richmond, VA to the south.

Also - if people would like to add any shops that emphasize vintage material - no matter where they are nationwide - I'd like to put them on my bucket list.

Thanks again for sharing.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:53 PM, Pokemon92 said:

Thanks for the insights - and wonderfully piper posted a similar thread for California and I have appreciated comments on that thread also. 

I will add ... while a good show would certainly afford opportunities to see gold/silver/wall books CGC and raw ... I like the thought of going in some comic shops that still emphasize vintage books as opposed to just the modern material.  Anyway - as I've never been to the Rhode Island/New England area - I really appreciate the insights others have offered and look forward to hitting a couple of these shops. 

Also nobody has mentioned any shops in the Washington DC area?  DC has quite a big footprint reaching north to Baltimore, MD and although it is a bit of a drive - Richmond, VA to the south.

Also - if people would like to add any shops that emphasize vintage material - no matter where they are nationwide - I'd like to put them on my bucket list.

If you are looking for Vintage in New England, I would see if you can check out SuperWorld.

Ted is a dealer more than a shop so reach out before you make the trip. But I try to go up a few times a year, usually to pick up books. It's just really cool to see all those GA books for sale in one place.  

On 5/21/2022 at 10:53 PM, Pokemon92 said:

I'm trying to think of some place in the area that might fit your criteria, but most of the places in this area have decided that the floor space required for stocking of back issues is not cost effective.

At times Gateway Comics and Toys in Fredericksburg has some stuff like you are talking about, as well as to a lesser degree their other store in Woodbridge that I go to, Gateway Nova. I don't know that I would make a special trip from the Bethesda side of things, but if  you were heading down that way for some other reason it might be worth taking a look.

EDIT - I see you mentioned heading to NC after Bethesda, so that might be a time to check out those two on your way down, both being on the I95 corridor.

Edited by ttfitz

On 5/21/2022 at 7:53 PM, Pokemon92 said:

For GA to moderns I would check out A-1 Comics in Sacramento, CA and Bedrock City (main store) in Houston, TX.