• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller hesitant to send after PayPal because of policy on releasing funds
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Looking to see if anyone has ran into this.

I purchased a couple of pieces off the CAF Live event this morning.

Everything seemed good - I covered the 4% paypal fee. I'd never traded or bought from the person before.

The seller is now hesitant to send because Paypal will only release $700 until the package is delivered. You can see the policy below - the seller must not use Paypal often to likely trigger the policy.

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/funds-availability

Are there any other well known ways to pay but still have some coverage? I've only ever mailed checks to well known individuals (like Adam Hughes).

If the seller offered Paypal it should be honored. Paypal is protecting you (buyer) and seller with the policy. I would never let somebody switch me to a different payment method after I bought something under an agreement for a payment service they agreed to accept. Most likely as you said they didn't keep up with policy, but.....

With people I know its different. 

You are both protected. Perhaps agreeing to pay for expedited shipping? The thought being the sooner you get the art the sooner the buyer gets all funds released. Every other electronic payment type could be delayed. Banking wires wouldn't leave until Monday and I don't think that adequately protects your end since you don't know the seller personally.

Why are my funds inaccessible or on hold?
PayPal may place a hold or restrict your account activity if we need a little more information from you about a transaction, your business or your account activity. Some of the reasons why we might need this information include:

1. You’re a first-time seller. When you’re a new PayPal seller, it takes time to build up enough history to demonstrate a pattern of positive buyer-seller transactions. The good news is you can usually move out of this status by confirming your identity and building up a history of positive selling activity.
  2. You haven’t sold in a while. When your selling activity has been dormant for a long time, it’ll also take time to rebuild a history of positive buyer-seller transactions.
  3. Multiple customers filed for a refund, dispute, or chargeback. If multiple customers file for a refund, dispute or chargeback, it can delay the availability of your funds. The best way to resolve this is to work directly with your customers to prevent, or solve, disputes and chargebacks. Sometimes it’s possible your customer filed for a refund, dispute, or chargeback because someone illegally used their PayPal account to buy something. We ask that you hold off on shipping any items when this happens.
  4. Your selling pattern appears unusual or changed. An unusual sales activity includes: a recent spike in sales or a change in your average selling price, business platform or type of item being sold.
  5. You’re selling higher risk items. Higher risk items can include tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers and travel packages. You can also read our User Agreement for more information on other holds and reserves we may place on your account.

On ebay, I made an offer to a seller with good ratings for a sports card.  It was lower than his asking but he wanted to talk to me by phone.  We agreed on the price.  Then he says no paypal, but wants me to pay in cash or wire transfer from a bank.  I am pretty busy and I'm thinking I don't have that much cash around as it was a big number.  I never really heard back but I didn't really inquire further either.  I thought the no paypal thing was weird for an ebay seller.  I would have been ok with venmo or zelle but he said no to that too.  If I just paid his price on ebay, I'm guessing he would have just had to do paypal.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:58 PM, Dokstarr said:

Looking to see if anyone has ran into this.

I purchased a couple of pieces off the CAF Live event this morning.

Everything seemed good - I covered the 4% paypal fee. I'd never traded or bought from the person before.

The seller is now hesitant to send because Paypal will only release $700 until the package is delivered. You can see the policy below - the seller must not use Paypal often to likely trigger the policy.

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/funds-availability

Are there any other well known ways to pay but still have some coverage? I've only ever mailed checks to well known individuals (like Adam Hughes).

Venmo offers goods and services but PayPal will release the funds once the package is delivered so I don't know why you'd pay twice.

I don't mind covering the paypal fees. That is generally a pretty common thing I've seen requested by dealers, artists, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out is there any other way I can have some buyer protection aside from paypal. There is no protection with checks, money orders, venmo, etc. I've sent checks to people like Adam Hughes in the past but they were well known artists with big online presences who I felt comfortable dealing with.

the issue is between him and paypal

you paid (and trusted) as requested, so it is now his turn to trust

emphasize it is not on your end (or his even, but paypal's) but there is nothing else to be done except please send the art. tell him you both need protection and while inconvienent you paid as requested and hope you can complete your purchase

it is unreasonable for him to stop the purchase over the holding of funds, it is part of being a seller and out of your control

On 5/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, Peter L said:

On ebay, I made an offer to a seller with good ratings for a sports card.  It was lower than his asking but he wanted to talk to me by phone.  We agreed on the price.  Then he says no paypal, but wants me to pay in cash or wire transfer from a bank.  I am pretty busy and I'm thinking I don't have that much cash around as it was a big number.  I never really heard back but I didn't really inquire further either.  I thought the no paypal thing was weird for an ebay seller.  I would have been ok with venmo or zelle but he said no to that too.  If I just paid his price on ebay, I'm guessing he would have just had to do paypal.

My sister tried this once when buying a car. It turned out to be a scam. Beware people who want to bypass the auction house payment method and its safeguards.

I bought some Michael Tuner pieces for $9k at CAF last year. I paid via goods and service and the the payment was also frozen. The seller could not send it, because shipping was $500 including insurance and he had financial issues. Finally after 4 weeks the payment was released and he shipped the art and I got a great deal. But the 6 weeks for waiting for the art was horrible. 

48 hours after making payment you can release the payment by indicating you are satisfied with the transaction, so you have that option if you trust the seller

On 5/22/2022 at 10:23 PM, Bird said:

48 hours after making payment you can release the payment by indicating you are satisfied with the transaction, so you have that option if you trust the seller

Why he should do that? He paid the 4% for buyers protection. 

On 5/22/2022 at 10:35 AM, RBerman said:

My sister tried this once when buying a car. It turned out to be a scam. Beware people who want to bypass the auction house payment method and its safeguards.

I am now suspicious about some red flags that it might be.  It is odd that I haven't heard back from him.  

On 5/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, Bird said:

Could he have authorized the release of only the $500 needed, apparently, for shipping?

On 5/24/2022 at 2:16 PM, Peter L said:

I am now suspicious about some red flags that it might be.  It is odd that I haven't heard back from him.  

trust your gut. This transaction should be completed via paypal.