• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I picking Nits? — OA and Rare
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Am I being silly? It always bugs me when I see the word “rare” used in conjunction with OA since by definition each piece is one of a kind. I mean, I guess it’s merely redundant, but it still irks me. Feels to me like the eBay comic seller equivalent of the guy who screams “HTF! Cgc it!” in the headline of every book they list. But that part could just be on me as the receiver of the message; the seller is not necessarily a shameless huckster. Maybe they just aren’t careful with words?

Talk me down, confirm my perspective, hurl vegetation; whatever it takes to properly center my perspective.

You’re picking nits.   I do get what you mean but that being said art can be rare in the sense of having few similar examples extant.    Say golden age Everett submariner pages, for example.    Ie you can describe not just the piece itself but also the class it falls into (world war 2 Action Comics covers, for another example).

Not how I would use the word either, but who cares.   You seem to think less of a seller  that is sloppy with those descriptions and tbh so do I.    But it’s much ado about nothing.    You know the facts so you can confirm your own perspective very easily. 

Edited by Bronty

Done sold and closed! Thank you both as that’s the somewhat sloppy but perfectly acceptable and appropriate use of rare in OA — rare examples! doh! Eg, a Calvin and Hobbes strip.

I suppose I would say rarely offered or rarely seen in the marketplace to be more clear. But yeah given this perfectly sound use, I am in that case picking nits. Thank you!

Gene I think you're silly...Have you seen your descriptions in your latest sales thread?? :roflmao:

I agree that the wording sucks and you're right original art is rare in the sense that there is only 1 copy. They are just trying to "sell" the item and thats what they think works.

For the record I laugh at them. Especially the "CGC it". I always want to ask why they dont "CGC it"!

Edited by Raze
added more comments

On 5/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, Raze said:

Gene I think you're silly...Have you seen your descriptions in your latest sales thread?? :roflmao:

I’m lost Dan,…I’m pretty sure I’m the only boardie who bashes the books he’s selling in his own thread! (Well, at least with Copper forward in my Mixed thread….and I did mock some of those hard-sell eBay tropes, but I always do that too!) I just try to make my threads fun for buyers who have seen it all over the years…and a quick education for newbies to speed them through what we all learned over time!

On 5/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, MAR1979 said:

Any who need to be told its original comic art is rare are likley not the target audience to being with.

Just one more reason why it confused me!

I do think the best, most likely explanation is poor wording trying to get across the concept that it’s rare for examples of art by a particular artist to come to market at all. I hadn’t thought of that at first.

On 5/22/2022 at 6:18 PM, Readcomix said:

Just one more reason why it confused me!

I do think the best, most likely explanation is poor wording trying to get across the concept that it’s rare for examples of art by a particular artist to come to market at all. I hadn’t thought of that at first.

The subject reminds me of something in Adam Smith’s Wealth of Nations where he discusses the difference between rarity and desireability. It may be rare, but that doesn’t make it something you would want. Desireability is what affects price, not rarity.

And let’s not forget good old fashioned dumb salesmanship—like the car dealer who says the latest Belchfire Supersport is the best one yet. Gee, and I was afraid the manufacturer was now trying to make worse ones now.

Bottom line: laugh it off. And don’t buy an old Trabant.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:01 PM, tth2 said:

Threads on these boards aren't supposed to finish so amicably.  The OP is supposed to become extremely defensive and argumentative when people don't agree with his/her viewpoint. :rulez:

I was quite surprised it didn’t follow -script lol

thx OP!

On 5/22/2022 at 5:15 PM, Readcomix said:

I’m lost Dan,…I’m pretty sure I’m the only boardie who bashes the books he’s selling in his own thread! (Well, at least with Copper forward in my Mixed thread….and I did mock some of those hard-sell eBay tropes, but I always do that too!) I just try to make my threads fun for buyers who have seen it all over the years…and a quick education for newbies to speed them through what we all learned over time!

Oh I get it, I enjoy your thread immensely! Do not get me wrong! Your Spawn descriptions were hilarious!

On 5/22/2022 at 9:50 PM, Raze said:

Oh I get it, I enjoy your thread immensely! Do not get me wrong! Your Spawn descriptions were hilarious!

Thx Dan! I just had fun with them because I’ve never been much for the title. At the same time, I did give credit where due and said a couple nice things about a couple of those covers. (Still recovering here….back on my feet in a few days, I hope…)

On 5/22/2022 at 10:41 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

It is all rare when you do not have it gene!! 

Jaaaaaay!

In art, sure. In books, far from it! Heck, I can think of many comics so common that even though I do NOT want them they keep showing up when I have to buy a whole collection to get the ones I do want. “Oh, look! There’s an X-Force #1 in here! … Again….” :pullhair:

On 5/22/2022 at 12:36 PM, Bronty said:

You’re picking nits.   I do get what you mean but that being said art can be rare in the sense of having few similar examples extant.    Say golden age Everett submariner pages, for example.    Ie you can describe not just the piece itself but also the class it falls into (world war 2 Action Comics covers, for another example).

Not how I would use the word either, but who cares.   You seem to think less of a seller  that is sloppy with those descriptions and tbh so do I.    But it’s much ado about nothing.    You know the facts so you can confirm your own perspective very easily. 

Great example too!  In my CAF I use rare to describe Kirby/BWS team and BWS/Everett team because there are ~ 12 pages of each