• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you do walk in drop offs to CGC if you live in another country where they don’t attend Cons
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Sorry if this sounds dumb 

so I want to send my books to CGC I asked if I could fly over and drop off and they said I cannot walk in drop off as I’m not an approved dealer/retailer/something even with the highest paid membership you can not do this. And even with a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of books, I can’t drop off.

At present there is a store in my country, only 1 that is authorised to do the CGC drop off. It’s not close by.

CGC can make the effort to go to UK but could they come to Australia soon?

Please 

To my knowledge, CGC only accepts drop-offs from mail carriers and well-known dealers. So, you must ship your books to them as everyone else does. They likely do this to maintain the order of invoices as they are delivered.

I don't get involved in many international questions. CGC return-ships to Canada, do they not do the same thing for most other countries, or is AUS still reeling from post office issues?

I think it might be putting valuable comics into the hands of complete strangers and letting them out of sight for months on end that's worrying the author. I can see his point. Even insurance is no guarantee they won't be lost/stolen in transit. Even getting the full value if they are lost will not guarantee that replacements can be purchased. Most overseas packages require some form of customs declaration which will state what's inside. And in order for a claim to be valid, you need to state the full value. A gift for dishonest postal workers. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 5/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, revat said:

If I'm reading this correctly, it does seem like you are in fact willing to take your very valuable books, fly to America (insert Florida joke here), and personally hand your books off to a CGC representative.

From this, I make the following assumptions:

1.  You have the disposable income and TIME to both fly to the USA AND get expensive comics graded.

2.  You are live in/near Australia.

3.  You like comics.

Given those assumptions, I suggest you fly to America and go to a comic convention that CGC is attending, bring your comics, and hand them off to CGC in person at the CGC booth (maybe even the last day of the convention so you don't have to wait as long to get your books back).  Of course it costs a bit of money to go to the convention, but it sounds like you've got enough money and like comics to enjoy a convention.  Now of course CGC doesn't attend as many conventions as they did pre-pandemic (my guess is they will gradually increase attendance), but they will be at Comic Con (San Diego - way closer than Florida to Australia) and C2E2 (Chicago) this year, and probably more, check the calendar yourself.  Make a vacation out of it, have some fun.  Good luck.

Note:  If you choose this route do a bit of research about what (if anything) to do at customs on the way in (or back).

The other option would be to fly to Sarasota and send them from the post office they have the PO box...

On 5/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

AUS still reeling from post office issues?

I think the post here is actually pretty reliable. It’s the clauses for international shipping like

CCG Companies cannot provide or procure insurance for international return shipments to Customer.

Customer assumes all risk of loss or damage to collectibles during return shipment from CGC to Customer. Customer is responsible for selecting a carrier (e.g. USPS Mail) for return shipping and for procuring insurance on return shipping. If Customer does not select a carrier, collectibles will be returned via USPS Mail

I’d say most grade companies have similar clauses. I can go down the road to HALO. HALO provides same deal but it’s terrible quality I mean all I’d be paying for is them to grade it really, some people will do that to sell a big key quick because it has a grade from a recognised grading company and they don’t want to wait for CGC.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

AUS still reeling from post office issues?

On 5/26/2022 at 10:22 PM, gregwynn said:

dealers in Florida

They have a fine print on authorised dealer 

Authorized Dealers and Official Submission Centers are independent from, and unaffiliated with, CGC. CGC and its affiliates are not responsible for the services provided by these companies and have no liability in connection with their services. CGC recommends that you carefully evaluate Authorized Dealers and Official Submission Centers prior to using their services. If you have any questions regarding their services, please reach out to the Authorized Dealer or Official Submission Center directly.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:10 AM, tbshay said:

Sarasota and send them from the post office they have the PO box.

There’s 2 options what’s best? I’m going to go with FedEx? Do you think?

If shipping via USPS, send to:

CGC
PO Box 4738
Sarasota, FL 34230

If shipping via FedEx or UPS, send to:

CGC
5501 Communications Parkway
Sarasota, FL 34240

On 5/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, revat said:

1.  You have the disposable income and TIME to both fly to the USA AND get expensive comics graded.

2.  You are live in/near Australia.

3.  You like comics.

1. I don’t have the TIME I work a lot but I do have the disposable income. I can fly to USA now borders are open. I could do this on a holiday I suppose. Guess I’m going to Florida? Dan Diego? I would need to plan this as to take leave. Can you give me a link to a calendar of events?

2. I’m Australian living in Australia 🇦🇺 

3. I collect…I’m a collector 

On 6/5/2022 at 5:05 AM, 815K1 said:

Haven’t you got CBCS in Canada? I’d take CBCS over HALO. You wanna trade graders?

They have a spot for drop off yes. But I’m not interested in dealing with them. CGC would have to burn me pretty badly before I moved to try their services 

On 6/5/2022 at 1:58 AM, 815K1 said:

1. I don’t have the TIME I work a lot but I do have the disposable income. I can fly to USA now borders are open. I could do this on a holiday I suppose. Guess I’m going to Florida? Dan Diego? I would need to plan this as to take leave. Can you give me a link to a calendar of events?

2. I’m Australian living in Australia 🇦🇺 

3. I collect…I’m a collector 

Yah it’s definitely not easy or cheap.  But if the goal is to hand the books off in person, I think it makes the most sense to go to a convention to submit

On 6/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, revat said:

Yah it’s definitely not easy or cheap.  But if the goal is to hand the books off in person, I think it makes the most sense to go to a convention to submit

Sure, but the return shipping will remain an issue.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, Lazyboy said:

Sure, but the return shipping will remain an issue.

From my reading it was more about peace of mind of personally handing off books to Cgc, just knowing it won’t get lost/stolen/damaged in the mail and/or customs on the way to Cgc.  

sounds like he would have been willing to submit at a convention in Australia and wait for them to grade in Florida and mail back to him in Australia.  So it doesn’t seem like that part (return shipping) is a hindrance to OP, in my opinion, though I could obviously be wrong.  

On 6/5/2022 at 12:39 PM, 815K1 said:

Where do they grade the UK CGC submissions?

Florida

On 6/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, revat said:

From my reading it was more about peace of mind of personally handing off books to Cgc, just knowing it won’t get lost/stolen/damaged in the mail and/or customs on the way to Cgc.  

sounds like he would have been willing to submit at a convention in Australia and wait for them to grade in Florida and mail back to him in Australia.  So it doesn’t seem like that part (return shipping) is a hindrance to OP, in my opinion, though I could obviously be wrong.  

He seems to be worried enough about that to make it it's own post:

On 6/5/2022 at 3:41 AM, 815K1 said:

I think the post here is actually pretty reliable. It’s the clauses for international shipping like

CCG Companies cannot provide or procure insurance for international return shipments to Customer.

Customer assumes all risk of loss or damage to collectibles during return shipment from CGC to Customer. Customer is responsible for selecting a carrier (e.g. USPS Mail) for return shipping and for procuring insurance on return shipping. If Customer does not select a carrier, collectibles will be returned via USPS Mail

I’d say most grade companies have similar clauses. I can go down the road to HALO. HALO provides same deal but it’s terrible quality I mean all I’d be paying for is them to grade it really, some people will do that to sell a big key quick because it has a grade from a recognised grading company and they don’t want to wait for CGC.

(shrug)

Regardless, the books are getting shipped at least once.