• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sucker Punch Review: A Decade-Old Rewatch

3 posts in this topic

There are 2 sides to this movie. It's clearly Zack Snyder showcasing his strengths. What that does is also highlight his 'weaknesses', or rather, areas where he needs someone to fill a gap. That's where the writers come in.

Side 1: This isn't a good movie by modern movie-making standards.
Side 2: This is a visually storytelling masterpiece.

What I mean by this is that Sucker Punch uses visuals storytelling to perfection, but that's pretty much the only method of plot advancement. If this was a silent movie, it'd be the best one ever crafted. It's as if you took a comic book artist and challenged him to make a film. He has the writer's notes, but he doesn't have the dialogue, and he doesn't have a guy like Junkie XL to bring the scene to life so he uses some music choices that I would consider "odd".

It was an interesting experience re-watching this (the Extended Cut on Netflix), because I have been pretty much loathing it for a long time, but it's much more compelling than I remembered.

I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars. If you just needed something on the TV for visual filler, it's probably one of the best options. If you're looking for something with more depth than just visual storytelling, then it's going to disappoint.

I haven't watched this since it came out but I always felt there was no real story behind it. But each action scene is very well done and pretty to look at it. You're right, this is the kind of movie that plays in the background of a nightclub and you can just watch it with no sound.