• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding/Buying A Collection: The Imagination Stage
3 3

112 posts in this topic

True story.

Years ago I called about a craigslist collection. A nice elderly woman answered and explained that her husband had saved all these boxes of old comics, one of which was the first issue of the Thing.

My imagination ran wild, --FINALLY A WINNER -- the Thing, Horror, Golden Age!!! Calm down, relax, don't sound overly excited. I asked, 'er.. do you know what the price is on the cover?.'

She replied, 'no, I'd have to go look.' I said, 'please do, I'd really appreciate it (calm down, relax...).

She comes back, 'didn't see the price...but there's some big monster on the cover. Me thinking..... OOOOOOOhhhhhh (calm down) . Oh ok, anything else you noticed?

Well, yeah, he's this big brown monster, looks like he's made of rocks and he's wearing these big blue trunks....... :tonofbricks:  Imagination brought down to reality.

That's how most of my finds went. At least this one was over the phone and I didn't waste gas.

Ok, one more story. Years ago I drove an hour to a block garage sale that supposedly had a bunch of old comics (like a million other listings). I was there a few minutes after the start of the sale. The guy goes, 'some guy came and bought all the boxes.' I asked, what kind of comics were in it? Oh, they were like early action, horror EC, yeah bunch of old ten cent comics.'  :tonofbricks: While the result was quite rare it was another (almost predictable) wasted effort of gas and time.

Edited by bronze_rules

I'm trying to learn to keep my imagination in check.  Last summer, if there was an Estate/Yard sale that listed "comic book collection" I basically couldn't sleep the night before because my imagination would run wild.  I'm still looking for the sale where they don't list them, and I ask and they say "oh, yeah, we meant to put those out - hang on a second." 

The biggest problem is competition.  Had a very similar experience to @bronze_rules last year - sale advertises books, I show up probably 15 minutes early and the books are already gone.  BEFORE THE SALE HAD EVEN STARTED.  I appreciate that you're trying to sell stuff, but at least follow your own rules.  Don't know what was in that sale, but it was "good enough" that one of the local snipes sniped the entire thing.  I'm probably too respectful and not aggressive enough, and I'm hoping the good karma will pay off eventually.

I've been a day/dreamer about book finds since I was a kid.  I used to imagine that the local independent grocery store had all the back issues I wanted in storage.

On 5/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm trying to learn to keep my imagination in check.

exactly

I have had one mega-find, and that is also my curse as my imagination gets the best of me

the original post situation is nice, the comics are coming to you eventually. So I could let myself run wild after securing them for sure.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:14 PM, topcat54 said:

Let us know what you found and pics or else:violin:

Oh of course. I also started this thread as perhaps a fun way to share the journey of purchasing a collection. All details and aspects from here on out shall be shared

On 5/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, jcjames said:

I'll guess common Archies and funny animal books.

Go in with low expectations. It'll be 1.0-2.0 drecky-drek.

Yeah I’m feeling western gold key vibes. That and stuff like ripleys and Boris Karloff, that kind of jam. That’s my personal bet. Doubtful there be any marvel or dc. 

Edited by comicginger1789