• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why was DR.STRANGE not on the cover of STRANGE TALES #110?
2 2

62 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2022 at 2:54 AM, APDallas said:
On 5/31/2022 at 12:45 AM, KirbyJack said:

I think fans can safely disregard that one-off villain. I know I do!

I don't know what happened to this version but he is in the marvel universe. maybe he can come back under a different name.

On Marvel Fandom, they even drop the e from Carlo Strang's name consistently after that first appearance in Tales of Suspense.

image.thumb.png.3384ee0c71b7ca69836b655091757393.png

On 5/30/2022 at 8:02 PM, Microchip said:

On Marvel Fandom, they even drop the e from Carlo Strang's name consistently after that first appearance in Tales of Suspense.

image.thumb.png.3384ee0c71b7ca69836b655091757393.png

Very interesting. So Carlo Strange is Marvel's first use of the character Dr.Strange. I have not read the story so what was the deal? Why did he fight Ironman? I think, and this is speculation only, either Stan or Steve or both liked the name and decided to re-use and create it as a hero. So what happened to Carlo Strange? What if he was related to Stephen?

On 5/31/2022 at 7:48 AM, APDallas said:

Very interesting. So Carlo Strange is Marvel's first use of the character Dr.Strange. 

Not exactly.  It was Marvel's first use of a Doctor Strange.  In much the same way, at Marvel and DC there were characters called Hulk and Thor, none of which bore any relation to the Marvel superheroes that came later.

Edited by namisgr

On 5/31/2022 at 10:42 AM, namisgr said:

Not exactly.  It was Marvel's first use of a Doctor Strange.  In much the same way, at Marvel and DC there were characters called Hulk and Thor, none of which bore any relation to the Marvel superheroes that came later.

Weren't a handful of characters (like Hulk and even Iron Man), done in sort of a prototype manor in earlier pre superhero issues of titles like Tales of Suspense or Strange Tales? You had Groot from that time period, Fin Fan Foom, an Iron Man who is NOT the Iron Man we know and a Hulk too! At the time these were quick and done stories but some of their core concepts were evolved when Marvel went full superhero in the early 60s

On 5/31/2022 at 11:01 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Weren't a handful of characters (like Hulk and even Iron Man), done in sort of a prototype manor in earlier pre superhero issues of titles like Tales of Suspense or Strange Tales? You had Groot from that time period, Fin Fan Foom, an Iron Man who is NOT the Iron Man we know and a Hulk too! At the time these were quick and done stories but some of their core concepts were evolved when Marvel went full superhero in the early 60s

Some visuals

jim_62_cropped.thumb.jpg.ea1a1e343ce78b53d248a1b1b2d506d9.jpg

tos_31_cropped.jpg.94c9cf88f45fb8e62b9de3f26a58a5c2.jpg

-bc

On 6/1/2022 at 4:42 PM, KirbyJack said:

Pre-hero prototypes are good fun, however tenuous they may be!

I think Tales of Suspense 16 is a pretty good one.

E0004C1A-EE32-4345-A780-8546CF3BB562.thumb.jpeg.19ec11b9a9ea207819729cc81fd6d285.jpeg

It’s interesting that marvel pre-hero comics still count as part of the marvel universe. So what would be the very first post golden age marvel comic that officially starts the marvel universe? Many would agree fantastic four 1 is the start….or is it? 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:52 AM, APDallas said:

It’s interesting that marvel pre-hero comics still count as part of the marvel universe. So what would be the very first post golden age marvel comic that officially starts the marvel universe? Many would agree fantastic four 1 is the start….or is it? 

I always consider Marvel to start with FF#1, the other candidates I can think of are Amazing Adventures #1, June 1961, first Dr Droom (later Dr Druid) or Rawhide Kid #17, August 1960, first Lee/Kirby collaboration on on going strip.