• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What really happened to the Sub-Mariner between 1955 until 1962?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, anytime we ran into 10 cent cover price books without the code we knew we found something “special”. Books from the 1940’s were like unicorns. There were no defined “ages” and SA books were “moderns”.

To this day, I still get that happy feeling when I run into 10 cent comics out in the wild!

On 5/27/2022 at 8:51 AM, Robot Man said:

When I was a kid, anytime we ran into 10 cent cover price books without the code we knew we found something “special”. Books from the 1940’s were like unicorns. There were no defined “ages” and SA books were “moderns”.

To this day, I still get that happy feeling when I run into 10 cent comics out in the wild!

On 5/27/2022 at 3:30 AM, bronze johnny said:

Agree. The people that I’ve discussed this with who believe the 1950s are the Golden Age need to study the history of America during the postwar era. The fears, anxieties, and new challenges coinciding with the Atomic and later Hydrogen bombs along with the rise of communism and the Cold War make period following the Second World War is what faced Americans. Superheroes who fought the Axis powers in the comics shifted to fighting crime in the postwar era as the Crime Comic Books led by Gleason’s “Crime Does Not Pay” became the most popular genre. Horror and Romance comics would follow with ACG’s “Adventures Into the Unknown” and Prize’s Young “Romance.” What then follows is the greatest comic book of the 1950s to capture the fears and anxieties of the 1950s, EC Comics. Anyone who believes EC Comics are Golden Age need to study the era and read them. Finally, how could anyone argue that the Golden Age ended when Showcase 4 was published in 1956? Golden Age immediately becomes Silver Age? Really? These boards don’t help by conflating in one forum Atomic Age comics with those published in the Golden Age. They need to be a separated. That being said, it’s now back to the focus on Nerv’s excellent topic!

I started collecting comics in 1973. Everyone growing up then called the 1970’s as part of the silver age. There was a fierce debate when the silver age started and Showcase #4 was not declared the winner until much later. No one ever heard the terms platinum, atomic or bronze. All those terms came long after the 1970’s ended. There’s clearly a case to be made for Action comics #1 jump starting the comic industry. There’s a weaker case to be made for Showcase #4 very slowly restarting the superhero back to top dog in comics. It took years for this to happen though after it’s publication unlike Action #1. Everything else has been made up hence the problem defining them as legit ages. I’m fine using the terms for collectors clarity but they are a bit silly if you think about them. Like robot man I was in awe of 10 cents comics since I collected in the 20 cent era. They were always a mystery of wonder to obtain anything under 20 cents on the cover. The Sub-Mariner parody in this thread though still lands in the silver age (thankfully) despite the ever changing ages…

Edited by N e r V