• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Hulk 181
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Let's keep the PGM requests rolling with a big book that unfortunately has a few issues.  As you can see from the pics, the MVS is cut out so definitely a qualified grade.  Certainly needs a C&P to help it a little.  The tear on the top right corner is hanging on by a thread.  Should I put a little tape on the back of the cover at this grade or just send it in and hope it stays connected??  Also a decent sized "dimple" on H in Hulk on the cover, not sure if a press would help that.  Back cover has a small rip.  Otherwise, it is complete.  Still happy to have any copy of this book.  Thanks for your opinions!!

thumbnail_IMG_3184.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3185.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3186.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3187.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3188.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3189.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3190.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3191.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3192.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3193.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3194.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3195.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3196.jpg

On 5/27/2022 at 5:19 AM, Nilo2 said:

Agree with @grendelbo. Qualified 3.5. If that corner is barely hanging on, it may not survive a press. I wouldn’t put regular tape on the book. Maybe a small price of archival tape (non acidic & removable).

Thanks so far for the grade opinions.  Since CGC treats tape like it isn't really there and that piece (if actually missing) is pretty small, does anyone think it would lower the grade even further, or would a piece that small missing still have the book in the 3.5 range?  I would just hate to lose the piece of the book in transit/press/grading when I still have it and could keep it attached.  Thanks again!

Edited by Uncle Fester

On 5/27/2022 at 6:37 AM, Uncle Fester said:

Thanks so far for the grade opinions.  Since CGC treats tape like it isn't really there and that piece (if actually missing) is pretty small, does anyone think it would lower the grade even further, or would a piece that small missing still have the book in the 3.5 range?  I would just hate to lose the piece of the book in transit/press/grading when I still have it and could keep it attached.  Thanks again!

In my grade I was assuming that piece would not survive grading and encapsulation.

If it were my book, I'd secure the loose corner from the inside with a spot of archival tape so that the book can be pressed. To me, cover appearance in lower graded books is crucial and that's especially true with a qualified grade. With a decent press your book will look good in a slab. I'd also consider picking up a loose value stamp (I see them on eBay all the time). It wont change the grade or the qualified label, but at least it will be a complete book. Just my 2 pesos.....:grin:

Edited by Nilo2

On 5/27/2022 at 10:10 AM, Nilo2 said:

If it were my book, I'd secure the loose corner from the inside with a spot of archival tape so that the book can be pressed. To me, cover appearance in lower graded books is crucial and that's especially true with a qualified grade. With a decent press your book will look good in a slab. I'd also consider picking up a loose value stamp (I see them on eBay all the time). It wont change the grade or the qualified label, but at least it will be a complete book. Just my 2 pesos.....:grin:

I thought about the loose MVS.  Are you talking about getting another she-devil MVS from another book or one from Hulk 181?  If from another book I imagine the back would be different, but maybe having it complete is more important?  Thoughts?

One like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115338241523?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iCp7x-3VRrW&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=k7sEkydtTYu&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or maybe not.... It would need to match the back side of the page too and I'm not sure this one does.

Edited by Nilo2

On 5/27/2022 at 10:25 AM, Nilo2 said:

One like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115338241523?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iCp7x-3VRrW&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=k7sEkydtTYu&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or maybe not.... It would need to match the back side of the page too and I'm not sure this one does.

I don't think either of the other 2 issues with the Shanna MVS would match the back.  Still unsure if it makes sense just to have an actual stamp with the book, but it won't be the same.

3.5 qualified.

Personally, I don't know much about applying tape.  If it were to be cleaned and pressed, maybe send it to someone other than CCS without tape...like @joeypost or @Tony S, among others.  Just my opinion. (thumbsu