• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC "No barcode" Modern Marvel Comics
3 3

6 posts in this topic

I've seen a couple "no barcode" CGC blue label books but aren't these "no barcode" variants just the sketch cover removed?

Every modern Marvel book that has a sketch cover doesn't have a barcode on the interior cover.

Both the Amazing Fantasy 15 and Incredible Hulk 181 facsimiles both have "no barcode" variants  because they have blank variant editions.

I even checked a recent facsimile (ASM 238) and without the blank cover, there's no barcode.

Are these "no barcode" variants really hitting the market or are people just removing the blank cover? I know comics in Walmart packs have no barcodes, but they also have unique backs as Marvel does that intentionally.

If they are hitting the market by accident, how does CGC tell the difference? 

Shouldn't the no barcode be qualified books as it's the same as removing tattoos?  It's literally removing the cover.

image.png.48711294b6c98764381fe14c9da7c35d.png

Edited by Dex25

On 5/31/2022 at 4:21 PM, Dex25 said:

Are these "no barcode" variants really hitting the market or are people just removing the blank cover?

I suppose that someone at CGC would have to know that there is definitely not a variant with no barcode in order to classify them all as Qualified.

If there’s anyone from CGC or a comic shop owner who knows otherwise, please confirm- but I don’t think any facsimile was released without a barcode somewhere on the book, which leads me to believe the outer cover (with barcode) has been removed from those copies that are showing up without a barcode.

Heres a similar situation - this book shown below is listed on eBay. It is not a Newsstand Edition (it says ‘direct sales’ right in the UPC box). Although there were both Direct Editions and Newsstand Editions produced for other titles in the multi-issue story arc (such as Batman #13 and Batgirl #13 and some others in the DC New 52 run), there were never Newsstand Editions produced for two of the books where the Direct Editions had outer covers- suicide Squad #14 (book shown below) and Red Hood and the Outlaws #15. However, the CGC label mistakenly says that both Direct and Newsstand editions exist without the outer cover. If that were true, you would find copies that don’t state ‘Direct Sales’ in the UPC box like the actual Newsstand Editions from other issues (Batman #13, Batgirl #13, and some others). All copies of this issue were Direct Sales, and all had an outer cover. Someone removed it before grading.

7A946506-58F4-4374-903B-E6EE45F7A242.jpeg

Edited by Lookin4Newsstands

I was wondering about this myself.  Does CGC just ignore the missing sketch cover and gives a normal blue-label grade with a modern facsimile comic that has no barcode on it.  I came across one on eBay today.  It looks like someone had done just that and was just given the NG grade from CGC.  It was flagged as "coverless" on the label.  Good to know!

image.png.c20a1a9e89f82c8e7cd66d351d5a9f1f.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275358829503?

On 6/22/2022 at 11:54 AM, DeanStengler said:

I was wondering about this myself.  Does CGC just ignore the missing sketch cover and gives a normal blue-label grade with a modern facsimile comic that has no barcode on it.  I came across one on eBay today.  It looks like someone had done just that and was just given the NG grade from CGC.  It was flagged as "coverless" on the label.  Good to know!

image.png.c20a1a9e89f82c8e7cd66d351d5a9f1f.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275358829503?

Interesting. Perhaps it’s possible to find out from the publisher (Marvel Comics) or from CGC if any versions of this issue were actually produced without a barcode at all, as the sketch edition has the barcode on backside the outer cover.

I believe CBCS gives it a grade but adds the notes of the cover being removed.

I believe CGC gives it an NG and notes the cover being removed.

HOWEVER...I think a few of the CGC that got a grade (i.e. CGC 9.8) made it through before it was decided to give it the NG designation going forward.

***I have an Incredible Hulk 181 Facsimile CGC 9.8 (no barcode)...which is pretty cool