• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1950's. (1954)
4 4

138 posts in this topic

Of the 26 pages of Interior art he'd do for the month, most of it was uncharacteristically focused on the 'zany' humor mags that Atlas was trying to mimic from Mad. Here's a sample of Maneely's 'Gentlemen Prefer Bonds' from Crazy #5, 'The Texas Stranglers' from Riot #1 and 'Rodeo Scheme' from Wild #3.

None of it was geared towards the Superhero revival being attempted. Not even the covers, of which was considered his forte, and what Atlas used as a lead to almost every new series with Maneely doing the cover. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Al Hartley, without the use of 'headlights' gives us a nice, sexually charged cover to Love Romances #38. Inside (2nd story), is Maneely's (signed) 'To Love Again', a love story in a month of humor - again, not necessarily his forte - but you can see just how versatile an artist he was. He seems completely at ease in the genre, even while concentrating mostly oh humor for the month...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One last look at Atlas for January 1954 - kind of an interesting book, Speed Carter: Spaceman, or just 'Spaceman'. It started out as a Joe Maneely book for the first three issues and then just began to meander. Here in the second to last issue, Hank Chapman is still writing most of these stories, but out of the blue, George Tuska is given most of the book to do! 

This series is kind of an anomaly, considering how much Goodman disliked Sci-Fi (it never sold for him, even in the pulps) and you wouldn't see much more of it until Kirby returned to working there.

Cover by Mort Lawrence.

(If you get a chance, check out #4 - Mike Sekowsky's art makes you almost think you're reading a DC comic...)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 6/2/2022 at 9:47 AM, Prince Namor said:

Al Hartley, without the use of 'headlights' gives us a nice, sexually charged cover to Love Romances #38. Inside (2nd story), is Maneely's (signed) 'To Love Again', a love story in a month of humor - again, not necessarily his forte - but you can see just how versatile an artist he was. He seems completely at ease in the genre, even while concentrating mostly oh humor for the month...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

what a wonderful cover

ON NEWSSTANDS FEBRUARY 1954

The following month Jack Kirby's output is again limited, this time to one story and two covers (a normal full month for some people). He does a cover for Young Romance #68 and Black Magic #30.

Young Romance was a title put together by Simon & Kirby for Crestwood Publications (Prize Comics) in 1947 that began the Romance genre in Comics. Hugely successful (selling over 2 million copies at its start), it was still going strong 7 years later! The Simon & Kirby studio would add both 'Young Brides' and 'Young Love' to their stable of titles.

Because of their success in the Romance genre for Crestwood (Prize), they put together 'Black Magic' as a 'non-gory' Horror title, to act as an alternative to what they felt was the uncomfortable content of their competition. 

Young Romance #68 cover by Kirby.jpg

Black Magic #30 cover by Kirby.jpg

Edited by Prince Namor

Here's Kirby's 'The Head of the Family' from Black Magic #30, the only full story he did for the month. To me, these stories read like Silver Age Jack Kirby Marvel work, as they flow from beginning to end. Kirby historians pretty much see this as something Jack wrote and drew, as it reads almost identical to the type of material he'd do his entire life. 

It may say 'Produced by Simon & Kirby', but for anyone who's read Jack's complete library of work, this isn't any different structurally the what he did, regardless if he worked with a writer or not. 

RCO003_1654198227.jpg

RCO004_1654198227.jpg

RCO005_1654198227.jpg

RCO006_1654198227.jpg

RCO007_1654198227.jpg

RCO008_1654198227.jpg

RCO009_1654198227.jpg

RCO010_1654198227.jpg

Stan Lee's output for the month again consisted of two books (out of 34 comics that Atlas/Marvel would publish for February), Millie the Model #54 and My Friend Irma #43, both with Dan DeCarlo. The similarities between the two are pretty apparent, and even though Atlas/Marvel would begin to glut the Code-enforced market here in another year, My Friend Irma wouldn't last. 

01.jpg

MOM 001.jpg

00.jpg

MOM 000.jpg

Again many consider this a Stan Lee written story from Riot #2 (despite him not signing it), because Roy Thomas swiped it for a retelling 14 years later in Not Brand Ecch #11 (adding Irony Man as Ivanshmoe). The original DOES remind me of that Not Brand Ecch storytelling style, but really it's kind of a copy of Mad magazine's style in the first place so who knows? It's still fun to read and compare!

Art by Hy Rosen in the original and Tom Sutton in the updated.

Riot 02 001.jpg

Riot 02 002.jpg

Riot 02 003.jpg

Riot 02 004.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Prince Namor

The Wertham nonsense had been going on for over 5 years, and if the publisher's were worried about the Senate hearing coming up, they certainly didn't act like it... here's Marvel/Atlas' Strange Tales 28 by Harry Anderson (an awesome cover!!) and George Evans cover for EC's Crime SuspenStories #23 (an equally awesome cover!!) both on newsstands that month!

Strange Tales 28 by Harry Anderson.jpg

George Evans.jpg

Over at Charlton, Ditko only did one comic for the month, but it was the entire comic: 'The Thing #13. There are no writers listed, and some assume Ditko did his own writing here, and... well, this first story 'Library of Horror', reminds me of early Doctor Strange (or even the Terrible Tinkerer) in its tone and atmosphere... and on the last page... shades of the Green Goblin!

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

DC was doing there thing for the month and not scaring any children OR parents, though this Wonder Woman story always kind of cracked me up... from Wonder Woman #65, cover  by Irwin Hansen. Interior written by Robert Kanigher (under house name Charles Moulton) with art by the unfortunately named Harry Peter. Man, I wish I still had my copy of this - these Wonder Woman's from this time are a bit tough...

Also included is Graham Place's cover for 'A Date with Judy' #40, DC's version of Romance/Humor at the time. I'll take Lee/DeCarlo's Millie any day.

lf.jpeg

Robert Kanigher (under house name Charles Moulton) art by Harry Peter.jpg

Graham Place.jpg