• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly are "warehouse finds"?

186 posts in this topic

I am sure Chuck exaggerated his story, but I don't believe for a second that Church's kids were innocent babes in the woods who got rooked by an evil dealer.

Nope, it's just like I said:

"Just some average folk who didn't know old comics were valuable, and a fast-talking Chuckles who found himself looking at the "comic lottery of all time" and made off like a bandit."

If you choose to believe Chuckle's portrayal of some average folk, just looking to sell a house, as "evil comic-hating devil-spawn", then so be it. Remember, this was 1977, and my own parents were not exactly supportive of my own comic collection, and I bet, would have tossed it out on a yard sale had I passed away.

And just for my own records, do you REALLY believe Chuck when he writes that he walked in, OS Guide in hand, ready to tell the Church children what the comics were actually WORTH?

Especially since Chuck barely had two nickels to rub together, and had to get a loan to pay even his lowball "less-than cover price" sale total.

If so then.. screwy.gif

But if not, then why believe anything he wrote on the subject?

Would be refreshing if he just came out and said...

"Yup... I sure fleeced those fuggers didnt I... man it was all I could do to keep from grinning like an Cheshire cat. Sucks to be you dont it?.. I foundem...not you..nah nah na nah nah."

Though probably not very P.C to say such things......to say anything contrary is even worse. But he did say otherwise, and that is his story and he is sticking to it!.

Ya know what they say... tell a story long enough and even YOU begin to believe it is true.

Ze-

He could have a stash of Devil Dinosaur #1!!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Or a bunch of Weird War Tales. Those would've been considered worse than Devil Dinosaur in 1979 and now they are one of our most popular titles. Weird Western is nice too. I think the new Jonah Hex book hits the stands tomorrow.

Marc

Would be refreshing if he just came out and said...

"Yup... I sure fleeced those fuggers didnt I... man it was all I could do to keep from grinning like an Cheshire cat. Sucks to be you dont it?.. I foundem...not you..nah nah na nah nah."

I'd love to hear that, but as that would close the door on the subject, Chuck will never do it. He thrives on attention, and he gets far more of it by concocting bizarre fairy tales than he ever would with the truth.

In the real world there are no Mafia Dons sitting on stacks of warehouse comics, no comic-stealing thugs patroling the highways, no secret cabal of comic-selling Freemasons, and no comic-hating demon heirs.

The truth is B-O-R-I-N-G.

I am sure Chuck exaggerated his story, but I don't believe for a second that Church's kids were innocent babes in the woods who got rooked by an evil dealer.

Nope, it's just like I said:

"Just some average folk who didn't know old comics were valuable, and a fast-talking Chuckles who found himself looking at the "comic lottery of all time" and made off like a bandit."

I would hope that "average folk" would have more respect for their father's life work. confused-smiley-013.gif I know that I would never dream of dumping my dad's baseball card collection. I may not have any interest in cards personally, but I respect him enough to not sell them for a pittance before the body is even cold. As for tossing Church's art, that grates so badly on a personal level that I really don't give a damn how badly these "average people" got rooked. At least Chuck (who didn't even know Church) had enough decency to pick the man's art out of the dumpster.

And just for my own records, do you REALLY believe Chuck when he writes that he walked in, OS Guide in hand, ready to tell the Church children what the comics were actually WORTH?

No I don't. Like most things, the truth lies somewhere between the two stories. As I said before, I don't think either side ended up looking good after this deal. The Church kids ended up coming across as disrespectful and insensitive and Chuck came across as defensive and greedy.

No I don't. Like most things, the truth lies somewhere between the two stories.

Exactly what TWO stories would that be?

So far, we've only heard Chuckle's side, so we'd need to hear from the family to even start forming a picture of the actual truth. To believe any of what Chuck wrote is pretty naive to say the least.

No I don't. Like most things, the truth lies somewhere between the two stories.

Exactly what TWO stories would that be?

So far, we've only heard Chuckle's side, so we'd need to hear from the family to even start forming a picture of the actual truth. To believe any of what Chuck wrote is pretty naive to say the least.

What do you think happened? Chuck isn't Satan. 27_laughing.gif He ended up with Church's art somehow. You really believe his entire story is a fabrication? That's as ludicrous as swallowing the whole thing verbatim, which I certainly don't do.

For the record, here is what I think likely happened. There was probably no love lost between Church's kids and himself (for whatever reason) and they wanted to dump his possessions and sell the house as quickly as possible, caring nothing for Edgar's life passion or his work. Chuck saw an opportunity to nab the best collection ever for an unconscionable price, and he took it. Should the kids have had more respect for their father's things? Most likely. Is Chuck scummy for taking advantage of the situation and paying basically nothing for the books? Most likely.

I am NOT a Chuck apologist, so don't try to paint me as one. I just don't think the Church kids were necessarily "good" people either, and I can't muster a lot of sympathy for them.

So it all comes down to whether Chuck took the art out of the dumpster (for altruistic, non-profit motives) as he attests, rather than some other location or through other means?

For example, let's say the Church heirs told Chuck he "could take anything" and so he took the art (and there was no mysterious dumpster), would that change your opinion of them?

I found a box of 100-150 comics in the garbage about 6 months ago.

All moderns frown.gif best book in there was an Ultimate Spider-man #1 (with a couple of scuffs), sold 31 issues of 100 bullets, still have a bunch of Hellblazer, not much else frown.gif

Im still hopein 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So it all comes down to whether Chuck took the art out of the dumpster (for altruistic, non-profit motives) as he attests, rather than some other location or through other means?

For example, let's say the Church heirs told Chuck he "could take anything" and so he took the art (and there was no mysterious dumpster), would that change your opinion of them?

Personally, whether or not I can sympathize with the Church children (and whether or not I can completely demonize Chuck) comes down to how the kids treated their father's things. The fact that Chuck ended up with the art and comics strongly suggests to me that they didn't give a damn about their father's possessions. Other than outright theft, there is ZERO chance that anyone but me will end up with my father's and grandfather's art or my father's card collection. Others may feel differently, and that's fine, but my sympathy for the family died when it became clear that they had treated Edgar's possessions with such disdain.

we'd need to hear from the family to even start forming a picture of the actual truth.

I'd imagine that the children themselves are probably senior citizens now. Have they ever publicly commented? Do they have the slightest idea regarding the notariety and value of their father's collection?