• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly are "warehouse finds"?

186 posts in this topic

I wonder if there is one warehouse find still out there?

Yes. Somewhere there is a warehouse full of Dazzler #1's.

I was hoping New Mutants #98 or Marvel Preview #4.

Or Jimmy Hoffa.

I doubt it. Who has space just sitting there for 10, 20 years filled with ?

there are some comic dealers with big warehouses who possibly don't know where a chunk of their stuff is. mile high chuck likes to pretend he finds palettes of stuff long forgotten all the time.

and if/when a guy like koch dies, that's a lot of comics..i don't know if he has kids. his brother who had a store in manhattan and, at least 10 years ago had a sick OA collection he was selling off bit by bit, isn't young either (if he is still alive). ditto dolgoff (although dolgoff has a son who might take over, i dunno, i've seen him at shows).

I wonder if there are Mile High II-type finds still to be discovered?

I will amend that. There may very well be something like this with 1990s books. And I guess some of those are worth something now. But not with 70s and before books, no way.

I wouldn't be all that certain. My ex-partner , Dave Kascha, has a fairly large warehouse filled with several thousand boxes of books, many of which are from of which are from 1987 or older. After we sold our shop, he got heavily into baseball cards and supplies for that hobby, but he paid five cents a pop for any comic anyone offered him. Bought tens of thousands of undistributed 1970s DC from a guy in Brooklyn. He bought a warehouse building in a bad neighborhood for next to nothing and went in partners with a guy to build a low level recording studio where quite a few rappers did their first recordings. In the crash of the 1990s, he was buying out entire stores of cards and comics.

As far as I know, he still has them all. He made some serious money in the rap market and doesn't need to work anymore. No idea what his plans for the stuff are.

I suspect there are hundreds of similar stories out there, perhaps not to that scale, but hundreds of boxes sitting around.

I wouldn't be all that certain. My ex-partner , Dave Kascha, has a fairly large warehouse filled with several thousand boxes of books, many of which are from of which are from 1987 or older. After we sold our shop, he got heavily into baseball cards and supplies for that hobby, but he paid five cents a pop for any comic anyone offered him. Bought tens of thousands of undistributed 1970s DC from a guy in Brooklyn. He bought a warehouse building in a bad neighborhood for next to nothing and went in partners with a guy to build a low level recording studio where quite a few rappers did their first recordings. In the crash of the 1990s, he was buying out entire stores of cards and comics.

As far as I know, he still has them all. He made some serious money in the rap market and doesn't need to work anymore. No idea what his plans for the stuff are.

I suspect there are hundreds of similar stories out there, perhaps not to that scale, but hundreds of boxes sitting around.

Agreed.

sure, baby boom era comic delers/former dealers like you, koch, etc. i dont think of these as warehouse finds, it is inventory, albeit in that case it has been sitting there a looong time, so i guess if your buddy drops dead and his wife "finds" it, it will be a find.

i guess 10 or 15 years ago the bakertown or something like that guys were clearing out some warehouse of magazines and comics, a lot low grade though. hard to be clear how much stuff they had from the ebay listing though.

and how many people here have 25-50k comics in their houses?

sure, baby boom era comic delers/former dealers like you, koch, etc. i dont think of these as warehouse finds, it is inventory, albeit in that case it has been sitting there a looong time, so i guess if your buddy drops dead and his wife "finds" it, it will be a find.

i guess 10 or 15 years ago the bakertown or something like that guys were clearing out some warehouse of magazines and comics, a lot low grade though. hard to be clear how much stuff they had from the ebay listing though.

I'm down about half but I had 20k a couple months ago in my basement and I can probably fit 5x that much down there. My wife would kill me but I've got to imagine some people on here have 50k in their house.

50K might just be "some," but I think a "bunch" might have 25K or so. I honestly don't know how much I have. trying to find anything is so daunting because they are 75% not organized. my guess is it is around 25K, with BA books being the biggest group.

I'm down about half but I had 20k a couple months ago in my basement and I can probably fit 5x that much down there. My wife would kill me but I've got to imagine some people on here have 50k in their house.

:hi:

In the early days of the boards, there was a guy who sold on ebay with names like CGCIT and CGCKING. He'd show a photo of a VGminus book and claim it was a 9.9 or a 10.0 He had more than a few run ins with board members. I ended up meeting him and he had quite the story. He was a real estate developer or something and had bought a supposedly empty warehouse building in downtown Brooklyn. He sent a crew to take out all the copper and lead when they ask him what to do with the books. He says throw them away, and they say all of them - there are thousands and thousands of them. He drives in and in one of the subdivided areas are a couple of hundred thousand low grade comics from the 50s thru the early 1970s. A little detective work shows one one of the major mail order guys had rented space there, and it seems they stored all their low grade stuff there. I'm guessing they went thru new collections and just couldn't throw anything away so they banished it there.

He and his sons would list a couple hundred books a week, listing everything as NM or better. I tried to cut a bulk deal with him but he thought his mess was made of gold.

I did get him to sell me a couple hundred portfolios from the late 70s ,early 80s that all had minor water damage but the prints were okay.I heard he fell on hard times during the recession and ended up moving out of Brookville. His stuff was drek, but mad amounts of it.

I know this isn't technically a "warehouse find" but I was enamored of this lone box, from this week's Heritage auction:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/humor/sad-sack-comics-26-distributor-s-box-harvey-1958-1-/a/121610-11609.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013

An unopened distributor's box of ~300 copies of Sad Sack Comics # 26, from 1958.

Even if they were average 5.0, I thought it'd be cool to have 300 copies of a 1958 issue that hadn't seen the light of day for over 50 years. Even if it is a Harvey.

While I came close, I didn't win it. Final price plus shipping probably came out to about $420, or roughly $1.40 apiece.

at that sort of price yes, although i think they'll be a tough sell after the first 30 or so

but if you sell a lot of funny books tossing them in as freebies will make a lot of customers happy

at that sort of price yes, although i think they'll be a tough sell after the first 30 or so

but if you sell a lot of funny books tossing them in as freebies will make a lot of customers happy

Unless you're a collector of Sad Sack, most would not be so happy about getting a copy. If you're going to toss in freebies, at least give something your customer might be interested (based on what he bought).