• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visible lines that should be hidden? Does it bug you?
2 2

4 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on art that doesn't bother to conceal or "erase" lines that would not be visible in reality?

I see this mostly in digital art, but on occassion with pencils too. I was reading Nightwing with art by Bruno Redondo and got to thinking about this. 

For example, look at Barbara's glasses behind her hair in the top panel of this page. How much does this take you 'out' of the image, if at all?

NW88_03_ink-1-scaled.jpg

How does the printed image appear ?? 

The image you provided, looks like it might be a monoprint or digital image that could provide gray "flats" for the colorist.  It could be that Bruno Redondo drew the glasses that way to be "artsy".  However, the colorist can also choose to show the glasses behind the hair in a way that is less stark than what we see above.  There are times when you see original art in black but the some elements are not printed in black.  See Babs' hair outlined in gray at the top and right margins, the colorist could do something with those lines.

See "flatter": https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2016/04/cc-flatter/

Edited by Will_K

I like seeing everything on the page that is part of the process. It's one of the reasons I love collecting original comic art - you can really get a great feel for the design process and see the thought process when there are remnants of old work like this. There's nothing better, to me, than seeing old erased letters or lines partially there or old pencil marks that weren't inked for some reason. It's a bit different with digitally printed pages that are inked over, but you still can get a sense of the artistic thought put into it - which is fine by me. Someone like say, Michael Lark, who leaves tons of reference blue line prints on his pages, but inks how he wants it to look in the end are 100% acceptable.

For this image specifically, it's a little weird to me that the glasses behind the hair were inked and not just there as a reference, but with the way colorists work digitally in most cases nowadays I'd expect there might be some transparency on the hair over the glasses - assuming this was colored digitally - and that would account for the artist making sure the full glasses are shown in the final product. Either way, there are generally changes of some kind between OA and final, so it wouldn't bother me.