• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS $10 TO MUCH TO PAY FOR SHIPPING AND HANDELLING ON 1 COMIC?

48 posts in this topic

Maybe you're talking about variable weight. $7 is for the flat rate envelope (which holds an unslabbed book just fine, including cardboard & bubble wrap). Didn't he say it was raw? Obviously, if you're shipping CGC, you need a box, not a flat rate envelope. So that's different.

Ares,

In a case like this, where the seller clearly states his shipping policy and price within the auction, it would have been best to email him first if you had qualms about it. If he's charging $10 for everyone (and no matter where he shipped in the US, he could send it for $3.85 in a flat rate envelope), then he appears to be doing a little profit-taking with his shipping price. I don't think he'll discount for Canada since it's nearly twice as expensive for him, and therefore his profit is only $3 instead of $6 (minus maybe $.25 in handling + insurance costs). Though of course, I could be wrong.

-- Joanna

He states a flat rate of $10 which includes insurance. Wouldn't insurance on this be another $1.30.......add that to a $7.00 shipping cost......total comes to $8.30. We don't know what kind of packing materials he uses, so his cost could be approaching $8.50 to $9.00 to mail it. I don't think there's any way to fault the guy on this particular auction......but he is making a killing on domestic deliveries. He may, in fact, even ship his raw books in boxes......which may raise the base shipping rate up to $9.00. We don't know yet.

The delivery cost was stated in the auction description. If it seems excessive, it's best to email him and ask if he can lower it or pass on the auction. People can charge what they want for shipping and handling (within reason.....you can't charge excessive amounts in an attempt to avoid eBay fees)........just like dealers can charge whatever they want for their books. If you don't like it........pass on the book......and make a note to yourself not to buy from them.

Insurance on $50 - $100 is actually $2.20, not $1.30 (it looks like the comic sold for $65 or so), so it's more like $9.20 rather than $8.30 as the total.

$10 isn't too bad if it's Priority Mail with insurance - assuming it's in a fairly sturdy package.

hmmmm.......then this whole thing doesn't make sense......unless the seller ships global priority and just assumes responsibility for the package himself........in which case I feel that he is entitled to the same $2.20 that the PO charges for assuming the risk.

I bought a book from JP- He charged me $30 shipping via fed-ex, and it was only a $300 book. But when I got the package, he included one of his heft $50 catalogues, which made the package pretty heavy. Now, I get all his catalogues sent to me automatically for free. It ended up being worth the shipping.

what doesn't make sense? He's profiting on shipping. The end!

What I meant was that he states in his auctions that he will ship via U.S. priority mail with insurance included and that he will ship to Canada. Joanna said you can't insure a Global Priority mail package to Canada. That doesn't make sense.

I got the same thing, personally I considered it junk mail no matter how nice his catalog looks. If I wanted a catalog I'd order one, I don't expect to get stuck paying so that he can advertise.

Brian

He states in his auctions that he will ship via U.S. priority mail with insurance included and that he will ship to Canada. Joanna said you can't insure a Global Priority mail package to Canada. THAT doesn't make sense.

He didn't read the fine print on the USPS page. You can't insure Global Priority Mail, but they don't tell you that. You can insure regular mail, or Parcel Post. Bottom line, he's profiting on shipping.