• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade In - Marvel X-Men #1 1991 Magneto Newsstand
3 3

15 posts in this topic

I have a set of news stand X-Men First issues from 1991 I am thinking of sending in. I bought them brand new, never opened them and immediately put them in mylar and thats where they have sat since 1991. 

Just curious what you guys think. I sent off a news stand Punisher #1 that came back 9.6 which I thought should of been higher as I can't see anything wrong with it at all and it was handled the same way as this one. But it just shows me my grading is off by a bit... so help me out with an estimate on this one please?

IMG_8240.JPG

IMG_8233.JPG

IMG_8234.JPG

IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8236.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8239.JPG

Edited by JRTownsend
Graded

Ok I do think it's color rub as well which the way I understand it is a manufacturing artifact because it comes from comics sliding on top of each other while the ink is still slightly wet. There is another version of "color rub" when comics are stacked on top of each other without bags and boards but this looks more like a dirty comic and this kind can be cleaned off.

I started looking at other 1991 X-men #1 on ebay. A lot of the Newstand versions of Magneto cover have similar color rub as mine. And some are even graded 9.8 as seen in this auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304473165165

So my question is does this type of color rub cause a ding on the score typically? If it doesn't like this one seems to show then what would mine grade at not considering the color rub?

Edited by JRTownsend

I understand the thought process you’re going through.  I wish CGC grading was consistent from day to day, but it just isn’t.  There is no appeals process to be had - finding examples/evidence that a really high grade book has similar defects isn’t uncommon.  I chalk that up to the grader getting lucky the night before.  
Seeing the color rub on the upper left side (and other area pointed out already) suggests a grade around 9.2 - 9.6 in my opinion.  A cleaning would likely lock you in between 9.4 - 9.8 depending on the day.  

Bet that black could come off with the (gentle) application of a white eraser.  

I think you can easily get a 9.6.  9.8 almost seems like a coin flip. 

And then they won't tell you most times what it was that made it a 9.6 vs. a 9.8....