• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Valiant Hand Painted Cover/Pages + Dan Parent Paintinng

8 posts in this topic

I was looking for a little help with value, I really have no idea and hoped some people could give some insight. I have the hand painted cover of Solar 5 and a couple Turok pages. This is not the original pencil piece, its a reduced size of the original line drawing but hand painted in water color, this is the piece that went to publication. Valiant would hand paint covers/pages during this time period. The Dan Parent painting is just cool...any insight would be a great help! Thanks in advance.

532ADD4B-5AE1-47DB-827F-70C8303EAE31.jpeg

DDE73643-A027-44E5-9DF0-37E60F604D53.jpeg

A70D95C5-30B4-41B3-AEFF-23F72CE140FD.jpeg

Edited by RobbieC

On 6/9/2022 at 6:38 PM, cloud cloddie said:

The valiant color guides don’t go for much. Usually sub 100 for the panel pages. You might luck out at auction with the cover, but doubt it would go for more than a few hundred. 

Thank you! These are actually not color guides. These are hand painted water colors.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:17 PM, RobbieC said:

Thank you! These are actually not color guides. These are hand painted water colors.

You are correct; these are not color guides. They are photographed blue line reproductions of the original B&W line work to be hand-colored and sent to the printer. So these are the actual published pages in the same way Lynn Varley’s hand-painted color art for the Dark Knight Returns are the published pages. You can even see the photographer’s crop lines. This is info I got from Dinesh Shamdasani’s CAF gallery and he of all people should know. 

The Turok pages are likely under $100, maybe between $100-$150 on a really good day at auction. The cover is a cover, so $200-$400 on a good day? Valiant is pretty niche so there’s not a whole lot of demand that is going to drive the price up. The B&W line art is what the devoted Valiant collectors are really going to spend their money on.

There are quite a few Dan Parent devotees out there and you don’t see a lot of his painted work on the market. Then you have that bad girl factor that can help. This is the type of art you’ll see in a Comic Link focused auction that may fetch between $100-$200. But this is rough ballpark with a volatile OA market within a broader nervous economy. These all could be more, or they could be less.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:55 AM, John E. said:

You are correct; these are not color guides. They are photographed blue line reproductions of the original B&W line work to be hand-colored and sent to the printer. So these are the actual published pages in the same way Lynn Varley’s hand-painted color art for the Dark Knight Returns are the published pages. You can even see the photographer’s crop lines. This is info I got from Dinesh Shamdasani’s CAF gallery and he of all people should know. 

The Turok pages are likely under $100, maybe between $100-$150 on a really good day at auction. The cover is a cover, so $200-$400 on a good day? Valiant is pretty niche so there’s not a whole lot of demand that is going to drive the price up. The B&W line art is what the devoted Valiant collectors are really going to spend their money on.

There are quite a few Dan Parent devotees out there and you don’t see a lot of his painted work on the market. Then you have that bad girl factor that can help. This is the type of art you’ll see in a Comic Link focused auction that may fetch between $100-$200. But this is rough ballpark with a volatile OA market within a broader nervous economy. These all could be more, or they could be less.

Thanks so much! Very informative and really helps. I appreciate it.