• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experienced Collectors......
1 1

33 posts in this topic

I try to complete series but it's like running uphill without gaining an inch. Key books are hard for me given my method, but it happens.

I also buy to read. I once bought several hundred modern Action Comics right here on the boards for less than $80 shipped. I sold a couple of the keys of the run and paid myself back so the rest are free.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, Big Barda said:

At what point in your collecting did you  start getting the harder to come by books?  

I did not specifically look for any certain issue(s) unless I wanted to fill a hole in a specific run. In the early 80's I did have to come up with a list of issues for people to get me at Christmas or Birthday, but that was not even that specific, it was more or less a list of random books I would like to have (IE. Any F.F. issue from 5-20), I would also include books that were showing higher value in Overstreet than the others around it (I was curious as to why) incase they could not find my primary books, that is how I got my IH 181. (Christmas 82/83) Before eBay came along for me (2002/2003) I made monthly trips to the 4-5 LCS's in the area or to local shows. I had a budget/money in my pocket and bought what I found when I found it (if I could afford it) and was excited to find older books in the wild, I actually used to say :applause:when I found books in the wild I had never seen before. (Super Excited the first time I saw ST 114 in an LCS and it was only $5.00!!!) Unless these books were shown in an ad in a comic that I had or I had the book as a kid there was no way of knowing what the cover of these issues looked like (not condition, actual cover art) so it was a thrill to find/see these books.

Then eBay came along and the anxiety changed from finding the books to will they arrive at all (USPS was bad) or in safe condition?

2009, prices for the books I needed/wanted (JIM/ST issues between 1-40) were getting out of hand, these books were not at the LCS's/Smaller shows and the bigger shows became more about "pop culture" than comic books and that is when I stopped buying, I think I have only bought 5 books since then (nothing expensive) to frame and display.

The only thing I have been buying lately are the new Hasbro Retro Marvel Legends 3.75" Figures because they look just like the Silver Age characters I loved and enjoyed as a kid.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:05 AM, AJD said:

I was thinking along the lines of many of the answers here, but then I realised that I've always chased what looked like most fun at the time. Sure I could now have a collection that better suits my current interests if I hadn't bought lots of other things along the way (50 years now) but I wouldn't have had as much fun then.

I was going through a stack of books while sorting once and I came across a series of JSC variant covers that I had forgotten I even had.  I looked at them and thought they looked good and understood why I wanted them then, but they didn't give me that same satisfaction now.  That was the moment that it kind of clicked for me, that if I reduced my focus on some of these impulse buys (because that's what it was), then I would have more money to spend on the big keys that make me happy every time I look at them.  To me, it's a matter of dream fulfillment.  Being able to own books you could only dream of having as a kid is really special on a personal level.  So yes, you sacrifice fun along the way, but the long term enjoyment is much greater than feeding the short term impulse happiness.  And each person is going to be different.  Some people are really happy with runs, variants, or other collecting goals.  If that's the case, then focus on that over the expensive books.  Just think long and hard about what you REALLY want and not just what you want in that moment.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:46 AM, Big Barda said:

At what point in your collecting did you  start getting the harder to come by books?  

I reached a point where it occurred to me that I was financially able to buy these more expensive books.  For the longest time I was stuck in that mindset that these books were out of reach.  Something that I had maintained since my earliest days of collecting.  It wasn't until I actually looked into the price of these mega keys that I always wanted that I realized I could afford them.  I justified it as an "investment" that I could get personal happiness out of.  I asked myself, "how much would you be willing to pay per year for something to make you happy?"  $30 perhaps?  Then that would mean if I bought a $1000 book, over 30 years, $900 of that cost was for happiness and the amount I spent on the book was $100.  That sort of rationale made it easier to pull the trigger on these books.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:35 PM, Big Barda said:

What is one thing you wish you would have done when you first started collecting comics?  TIA

Focus on quality instead of quantity. When I was first collecting seriously I was an accumulator. I liked walking out of a comic con with a ton of books. If I had it to do over, I'd go for keys instead.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:55 AM, ExNihilo said:

Just think long and hard about what you REALLY want

I've thought long and hard about a Playboy collection...

On 6/10/2022 at 11:04 AM, Big Barda said:

Trying to find the next "big" comic could be fun!

I don’t really care what becomes “big”. It’s more so I spent money on books when others were $100-500 thinking “oh I’ll get those in a few years when I have more money” when really I should have just bought less and saved for the bigger purchases. Now those books are double or triple if not more 

On 6/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, Big Barda said:

What is one thing you wish you would have done when you first started collecting comics?  TIA

I wish I hadn't strayed from my main focus books. I completed most of my goals except for 6 books (J.I.M. #83 & #85, FF #2, #4-6). I figure if I had stuck to my guns, a good chunk of these would be mine :( 

I'm pretty much done buying books right now. The ones I need are higher than I care to reach.

Edited by MR SigS