• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way To Sell Comics
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

Is there a “best place” to sell comics?  Not Ebay.  My brother collected and stored comics mainly from the 70’s – early 90’s.  They were sealed in plastic and placed in bins.  Great condition.  They are now with me.  I took inventory, I have the high-priced being graded, many key comics and others just “being stored”.    

Not sure what to do with them and I do not trust the local comic book store.

Do you want to just get rid of the books easy and quick, or do you want to maximize the amount you sell them for?

Selling to the local store will get you quick money, but not the highest amount.

Many on here have had success selling through MyComicShop.  Depending on what you have the 70s and early 80s stuff could do well there.

If you want to spend the time, you could scan or take high-res pictures of the books you want to sell and list them in the "Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area."  Note the different sections there for different "Ages" and be sure to read and understand the selling and posting rules before starting a sale.

Good luck!

It depends on the level labor you are willing to put in.

Once the high end graded books come back, you may want to list on Ebay. Although many have a love/hate relationship with the platform, it's instant access to a massive market, and you have impulse buyers who will pay a premium. You can also consign with MCS as mentioned above or ComicLink or ComicConnect (they will give cash advances on quality books) - let someone else do the work if you want to conserve your time.

I would recommend trying a few options as a seller, and then see what you prefer.

Thanks for everyone's insight on this! 

I think its double edged for me because i already committed the time to creating an on-line inventory (Just so I know what i have & this is how i got through COVID), excluding the High-Rez Images.  I also want to get close to what i think they are worth, but, i'm thinking i can not do both.  

As mentioned I think i will add the images and try Ebay first.  See how much time/success that is.  Then cave and ship them to a consignment.  lol

Again, Thanks for your insight everyone!  

On 6/29/2022 at 7:32 AM, Twoody8020 said:

Thanks for everyone's insight on this! 

I think its double edged for me because i already committed the time to creating an on-line inventory (Just so I know what i have & this is how i got through COVID), excluding the High-Rez Images.  I also want to get close to what i think they are worth, but, i'm thinking i can not do both.  

As mentioned I think i will add the images and try Ebay first.  See how much time/success that is.  Then cave and ship them to a consignment.  lol

Again, Thanks for your insight everyone!  

You may not know this, but when you consign to mycomicshop, they list everything on ebay.  

So you can sell on ebay, do the listings yourself,deal with nutjobs, and packing all the books, getting them shipped and deal with possible returns yourself or send one box to MCS,and collect checks.  MCS has a gazzilion ebay transactions and is one of the most trustred sellers in the hobby.  Do you think you,as a zero or low feedback new seller will be able to get the same dollars as they would?

By the way, ebay will keep more of your sales than MCS does. They charge higher commissions and extra fees.

Cave in and have more time and more money. 

On 6/29/2022 at 7:45 AM, shadroch said:

You may not know this, but when you consign to mycomicshop, they list everything on ebay.  

So you can sell on ebay, do the listings yourself,deal with nutjobs, and packing all the books, getting them shipped and deal with possible returns yourself or send one box to MCS,and collect checks.  MCS has a gazzilion ebay transactions and is one of the most trustred sellers in the hobby.  Do you think you,as a zero or low feedback new seller will be able to get the same dollars as they would?

By the way, ebay will keep more of your sales than MCS does. They charge higher commissions and extra fees.

Cave in and have more time and more money. 

All of this. Highly recommend MCS to save you the time and headache that comes with ebay. As indicated above, you will deal with nutjobs. Comic collectors are extremely picky and particular about different things, and I count myself among this group. Save yourself the trouble and use MyComicShop.

Maybe he would want to list them here on the boards lots of good folks here and avoid the Ebay fees and the way are doing things with peoples adds.

You also might want to think about the 1099 you will get from paypal at least here you can ask for a check or money order just my 2c