• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why do they cut the corners off OA pages?

8 posts in this topic

posted this in CG but maybe it belongs here.  anyone know why they do this?

Edited by kav

Sometimes you might see a picture of a page from seventies and eighties that looks uncut.

Newer collectors might buy a page like that only to see it arrive with cuts.

What happened?

The person selling the art may have put an uncut Bristol board or paper behind the art giving the appearance of a pristine page. 

It’s import to ask questions. Cut corners don’t bother me one bit. It’s doesn’t hurt the value. But deception is aggravating and a seller should never disguise the actual condition of a page.

In fact 98.9% of the time when I’m asked what “condition” a page of art is I reply, “one of a kind.”

Edited by grapeape

On 6/13/2022 at 9:50 PM, kav said:

posted this in CG but maybe it belongs here.  anyone know why they do this?

As I understand it, the B&W inked art was photographed for printing. In order to be photographed it was taped down. Because the photographer had to photograph 22 pages with a large queue of 22-page books behind them, it was faster and more efficient to take a box cutter and cut the art free then it was to peel off the tape. So the photographer’s assistant would slash it and quickly tape down the next one and repeat. 

What I find funny is that the title, page # and artist name (if any of those were present) were kept intact, I’m sure for future reference but I always thought of it as disinfecting the needle or razor before self-harm. What I find weird is that you never find covers slashed like that. So how was the process different for covers? Or were they treated with more dignity because they were covers?

On 6/14/2022 at 2:14 AM, John E. said:

As I understand it, the B&W inked art was photographed for printing. In order to be photographed it was taped down. Because the photographer had to photograph 22 pages with a large queue of 22-page books behind them, it was faster and more efficient to take a box cutter and cut the art free then it was to peel off the tape. So the photographer’s assistant would slash it and quickly tape down the next one and repeat. 

What I find funny is that the title, page # and artist name (if any of those were present) were kept intact, I’m sure for future reference but I always thought of it as disinfecting the needle or razor before self-harm. What I find weird is that you never find covers slashed like that. So how was the process different for covers? Or were they treated with more dignity because they were covers?

Maybe the covers were untouched because they had title stats that might be reused later. Just speculation...