• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in Craigslist comic shopping
2 2

90 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2022 at 1:33 PM, Galen130 said:

Well, I went to the yard sale!! :banana:

The guy didn't really know what he had...he used ebay to price his comics. lol

He was an older vet, older then me.  We hit it off...walked away with about 50 GA/SA/BA comics.  Some war stuff, Charlton horror...nothing crazy or any major keys (I think).  He has more, but I ran out of cash. Lol.

I'll update with more info later. (thumbsu

hm

:wishluck:

:cheers:

On 7/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, Galen130 said:

Well, I went to the yard sale!! :banana:

The guy didn't really know what he had...he used ebay to price his comics. lol

He was an older vet, older then me.  We hit it off...walked away with about 50 GA/SA/BA comics.  Some war stuff, Charlton horror...nothing crazy or any major keys (I think).  He has more, but I ran out of cash. Lol.

I'll update with more info later. (thumbsu

rookie mistake. always bring sufficient amounts of cash. if you agree on a price and you have to go to the bank, many times they'll have cold feet, talk to the wife, etc. and back out of the deal. close the deal right then and there and haul off the stuff. 

Edited by Lpgk

The few times I’ve use CL to either buy or sell, I either dealt with flakes that never showed up or low ballers trying to get a valuable key for a fraction of fmv and the old, “the condition is lower than I expected”. Then why do you still want it? 🤔

On 7/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, B2D327 said:

The few times I’ve use CL to either buy or sell, I either dealt with flakes that never showed up or low ballers trying to get a valuable key for a fraction of fmv and the old, “the condition is lower than I expected”. Then why do you still want it? 🤔

The only time I'm selling on CL is to move bulk.  I'm never trying to deal with a random trying to haggle me on a key in person.  Save that for Ebay.  

On 7/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, Lpgk said:

rookie mistake. always bring sufficient amounts of cash. if you agree on a price and you have to go to the bank, many times they'll have cold feet, talk to the wife, etc. and back out of the deal. close the deal right then and there and haul off the stuff. 

I take with me what I’m willing to spend, so I don’t overdo it.  I don’t have a lot of free cash, so I spend what I’m able to part with.

Yeah, there's no way to know what's "sufficient" in any case.  I've made deals where I had to go to the bank but made it a point to shake hands with the guy and look him in the eye while I did it.  I also asked him to move the books into the house while I was gone :)

On 7/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Yeah, there's no way to know what's "sufficient" in any case.  I've made deals where I had to go to the bank but made it a point to shake hands with the guy and look him in the eye while I did it.  I also asked him to move the books into the house while I was gone :)

Understood, I've had to do that as well. Sometimes they'll be a garage sale or flea market and a larger deal just happened. About 5 years ago, I went to an outdoor flea market and this guy had about 10 long boxes. I picked out most of the keys which included Hulk 181, GSX 1, Xmen 94, ASM 252, etc. We negotiated a price and told him I would be right back to go to the ATM. The guy was showing his wife the comics saying he hates to see them go. I had a bad feeling so I jetted over there and hurried back with the quickness. Luckily, he kept to his word, but I'm sure some boardies have stories where the seller either changed their minds or "sold it to someone else". So I make it a point to load up when I go out to look at comics.

Funny thing, I ran into the same guy recently and he still had the same 10 boxes. I went back and bought the rest of the keys I didn't buy before... Xmen 101, Xmen 266, SW8, etc. 5 years later the things I left behind blew up and I negotiated a price agian. However, I didn't bring enough cash this time either. Luckily we already had a relationship so we were cool and I just came back after going to the bank. 

So I ended up just thumbing through a box of comics sitting off to the side...saw a few old GA/SA books in there, which I always try to rescue when I find them.  There were a couple of Dell 'The Frogmen' comics, including a #3 which supposedly had partial inks done by Frazetta.  As I mentioned earlier, there were about 50 books in the box, but nothing really crazy for keys...just a few minor ones.

Anyway, I happened to find the below comic in the box.  I have heard of Atlas Comics, but never owned any.  This comic has some Ditko work from 1975.  It's kind of cool, and unique.:yeehaw:

img20220701_16532792 (2).jpg

Edited by Galen130
The Frogmen #3, not issue #2...

On 7/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, Galen130 said:

So I ended up just thumbing through a box of comics sitting off to the side...saw a few old GA/SA books in there, which I always try to rescue when I find them.  There were a couple of Dell 'The Frogmen' comics, including a #2 which supposedly had partial inks done by Frazetta.  As I mentioned earlier, there were about 50 books in the box, but nothing really crazy for keys...just a few minor ones.

Anyway, I happened to find the below comic in the box.  I have heard of Atlas Comics, but never owned any.  This comic has some Ditko work from 1975.  It's kind of cool, and unique.:yeehaw:

What about the double cover Western?

On 7/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, steveinthecity said:

What about the double cover Western?

It actually wasn't a western.  The photo in the ad was so blurry, I couldn't tell what it was for sure.  It was a Classics Illustrated #46, 'Kidnapped'.  He was trying to sell it for $100.  I wasn't that interested in it for even half that. (shrug)

I was pleased to find this comic in the box.  I've been slowly trying to get the complete run of Spider-Woman in newsstand editions.  It's not easy without someone charging outrageous prices. :facepalm:

img20220701_17250871.jpg

In a nutshell, it was a pretty cool adventure.  I managed to score some raws for my PC...the rest I will put up for sale on the boards, or donate.  It was better to buy a stack of comics to get the handful I wanted...he cut the price in half doing that so I saved some money (not enough for lunch though).

It's always cool to run into fellow vets.  He was in the Army after Vietnam, and out of the Army before I joined the AF.  Not a career guy.  It ended being a two and a half hour visit.  He had some cool stuff, but nothing exceptional.  We traded numbers, as vets tend to do.  I may return and look at some more war comics in the future.  He had way too much Modern ...I hate that stuff. lol

Well, I may have the bug now.  I found another Craigslist yard sale out here in the county next weekend...only 10 minutes away.  There will be comics.  My wife wants to go to, so that should be fun. lol

On 7/1/2022 at 4:52 PM, southern cross said:

Crazy for a shop to not buy books.

I work at a shop part time and for the last 6 months they've bought collections.

Not the best most of the time and there a times they are declined on.

Here is an example of books from one collection.

Screenshot_20220630-234036.thumb.png.ba4622a8d720cb5269b0c8d89c480f42.pngScreenshot_20220630-234012.thumb.png.96b26713ecb07b4f280a4eb98a1a1e0d.pngScreenshot_20220630-233913.thumb.png.7b1d804343e7206a69f93fba5d721324.png

Screenshot_20220630-233928.thumb.png.a49c9bc69ca1e072046f217619e56af5.pngExpensive working there. 

I ended up grabbing myself the pre bat Det, Supes 7, .Captain America and I also picked up a low grade raw supes 23.

Another collection came in, no boards in 3 boxes, not comic boxes. Looked like mostly Sad Sack, DC war and Archie's. There were a small amount of Marvels like 5 spideys, 5 hulk's, A X-Men and 5 Ghost Rider related comics.

After going thru the boxes I picked out some keys, not high grade thet are about Gd-F/VF 

Screenshot_20220630-233439.thumb.png.a461bc0e9a29956769e14c4eca37e283.png

I ended up with the HOS 🙄 Too much temptation I find working there.

Good luck Galen if you check out the comic books 👍

Which store?

On 7/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, Galen130 said:

So I ended up just thumbing through a box of comics sitting off to the side...saw a few old GA/SA books in there, which I always try to rescue when I find them.  There were a couple of Dell 'The Frogmen' comics, including a #3 which supposedly had partial inks done by Frazetta.  As I mentioned earlier, there were about 50 books in the box, but nothing really crazy for keys...just a few minor ones.

img20220701_16532792 (2).jpg

Wally Wood inked the cover and the interior.  Atlas is an interesting company that didn't survive six months but changed the industry. Ditko, Wood, Adams, Larry Hama and many stars of the day wotked there for the higher rates and the royalities.   It might be time for an Atlas sale. 

Edited by shadroch