• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Golden Age post with my first big Golden Age purchase.

29 posts in this topic

The vendor is my LCS Eides Entertainment. They graded it a 6.0 FN and the price was $600 out the door.

How did I do?

Well, I think it's definitely better than a 4.0 insane.gif. It looks in the FN range, you got it below guide, and it has excellent colors. I'd say that it was a good purchase. You can't go wrong with Supermans between 1 - 25.

Geeze ericc! THAT is your first GA? A very pretty Supes 11??? I mean, heck! You don't fool around.

mid to low grade Golden Age with nice eye appeal, basically if you buy from someone you trust no reason to have something like this slabbed.

I think you absolutely nailed it there. I think it will be very interesting to see, a year from now, what your GA collection will look like! Definitely show us more as you get them but for now, this is quite sufficient! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The vendor is my LCS Eides Entertainment. They graded it a 6.0 FN and the price was $600 out the door.

How did I do?

Well, I think it's definitely better than a 4.0 insane.gif. It looks in the FN range, you got it below guide, and it has excellent colors. I'd say that it was a good purchase. You can't go wrong with Supermans between 1 - 25.

I would agree - unless the back cover is a mess, no way it's only a 4.0.

A 5.0 minimum and 6.0 is not out of the question. Also a clean cover with great eye-appeal. I don't know what FMV is on early Supes, but #11 is considered a classic cover by many, so I'd say you did well. A raw copy graded at 5.0 was BINned on ebay for $595 and it doesn't look as nice as yours thumbsup2.gif

are the pages on that a little brittle? just looking at the top left i might worry about PQ. from the front, looks like something CGC would give a 5.0 to. 6.0 if in a good mood.

the top right corner I'd examine carefully

are the pages on that a little brittle? just looking at the top left i might worry about PQ. from the front, looks like something CGC would give a 5.0 to. 6.0 if in a good mood.

the top right corner I'd examine carefully

One thing i have noticed, blob, is that for some reason scans usually darken pages. Not sure why but I have many an off-white pre-code horror that come out looking almost tan in the scan.

But yes, would be interesting to know the page quality.

The back cover is as perfect as I have seen on a book like this. As for the page quality it is amazing. It is most likely off-white maybe cream to off-white but by no means brittle. To be honest guys the scan really doesn't do this comic justice it seems to blow up all the defects out of proportion. The comic is cleaner than the scan would indicate and maybe a little brighter. When I factor in no writing, good page quality, good eye appeal, unrestored and under guide I figured buying this was a no brainer. They actually have more I might be going back for. Oh and the best part is I really wanted a nice Detective Comic but the owner hadn't gone through them yet so he said if I wanted to trade the Superman #11 back in on the Detective he'd give me what I paid for it.

Here's a similar issue in 6.0 that I think is accurately graded for a GA. small tear on the right edge and upper left corner. Soft staples, good spine, blunted lower left. I'd estimate its only slightly better than the 11 but I specifically don't like pieces missing where you can see the paper. Plus CGC can be all over the place with grades from 5.0 to 7.0

sup9lab.jpg

sup9.jpg

It warms my heart when I see a fellow collector buy a Golden Age Supeman or Action book, great book there Eric, thumbsup2.gif looks real nice.

Funny thing is my very first Golden Age book was a Superman #11, I didn't keep it cuz it was way overgraded, I sent it back to the seller, this was around 1990, he had it listed as VF for $600, but when I got it, it was barely a VG,.. it killed me to return it, as it was one of my favorite Superman covers, but I knew it wasn't worth $600 at the time, and I planned on getting a nicer one someday, still haven't pick up a Supes #11 yet, although I have pick up a few others since..

welcome to the addictio..eh I mean world of Golden Age Comics !!!!!!!!!!!