• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Golden Age post with my first big Golden Age purchase.

29 posts in this topic

Bought this at my LCS and got a heck of a deal. With all the hoopla about high grade Silver Age books being pressed and trimmed I am thinking of buying books like this....mid to low grade Golden Age with nice eye appeal, basically if you buy from someone you trust no reason to have something like this slabbed.

983092-superman11.jpg

this is my first attempt at posting a picture so please be patient.

983092-superman11.jpg.fadef083a6915e0e00bd1860d0c7452c.jpg

Nice Superman!

With all the hoopla about high grade Silver Age books being pressed and trimmed I am thinking of buying books like this....mid to low grade Golden Age with nice eye appeal, basically if you buy from someone you trust no reason to have something like this slabbed.

Me too. I decided to go for an early Batman run. Hope this isn't the beginning of a trend or there will be alot more competition. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way, how would you guys bracket Low, Mid, and High Grades?

For example:

Low = 0.1-4.0

Mid = 4.1-7.0

High = 7.1-10.0

That sort of thing.

That's a little skewed for GA. My scale would be...

Low = 0.5-3.0

Mid = 3.5-6.5

High = 7.0-9.0

Really High = 9.0+

Nice pickup 893applaud-thumb.gif How come my LCS never has these sort of books?

Re: GA grading groups - my definitions:

Very low grade <1.8

Low Grade 1.8 - 3.5

Mid-grade 4.0 - 6.5

High grade 7.0 - 9.0

Extremely High grade >9.0

Same here, my LCS has complete sCRAP, even for Silver Age. Buck something or other on the Boards picked up a nice Low Grade Superman 10 the other day for about 300. I mean, why I can't I find those kind of deals.

I too am slowly working on early Superman & Batman runs (budget permitting).

It's all a matter of time horizon. I was waffling for a while because of the cost of putting a run together and the amount of time it would take. But then I decided to take each book as it comes and enjoy the ones I own. It will probably take over a decade for me to finish Batman 1-20.

Welcome to the real world of comic collecting. The low to mid grade collector who love their comics and actually read them. Jeez, what a novel idea.

Oh now, you've got it wrong, we're all bottom feeders according to the high-rollers and big-time dealers (or BSDs, as some call them). </sarcasm>

I'm partially of the opinion that being called a bottom feeder is sour grapes for "I can't get as much money as I wish I could from this person" from a dealer/seller.

Nice Superman book, btw!! Congratulations!!!